Thursday, November 8, 2018

Dreaming

I've started to dream again. Did I mention that earlier? For a long time I didn't. I'm not talking about the things you have in your sleep. I have those constantly. But I mean those ideas, desires, goals that make us want to get out of bed, to do something, that excite us.

Before Mom passed, she was buying all sorts of stuff she could never use. She purchased cookers, sock knitting machines, computers, even a circle saw which she said was too heavy and she gave to me. "She's dreaming " was my sister's explanation of Mom's behavior. That was/is a good thing. She always had projects, ideas, things she wanted to do. She stopped dreaming, the best I could tell, right before she died.

When I was unable to run or swim or lift weights, the dreams went away. So did my zest for life. For the first time ever, there were days when I could not get out of bed. But now the dreams have returned, and I arise early to try to make them come to pass.

If y
ou read this blog and maybe if you don't, you know that I have been lifting, swimming, and even shuffling a little. Now some old dreams along with some new ones have returned. One dream that I missed doing two years ago was the Parks Marathon. This is not a race you can sign up for a complete. It was my brainchild in line with a lot of marathons I did alone, on Fridays, my day off. I called most of those adventure runs or Buddy Bones Marathons. You can look on my Facebook page and check out my albums and find pictures of these sole events that took place in the wilds around Holcomb, Mississippi, on the streets of Greenwood, and on the county roads around my hometown. I loved them and they kept me fired up and climbing out of bed early to go play, the one thing I ahve always wanted to do.

Last night, I shuffled a slow but fun 4.1 miles. That brought the mind the Parks Marathon, my idea of running to and at least a mile in 13 parks in and around Greenwood. With the my burgeoning running, the idea of spending Fridays on foot has me chomping at the bits. I want it.

Not only do I want to do the Parks Marathon, but I have thoughts of crazy Plate City Gym workouts. I think of setting up the bike trainer and doing sets of squats sandwiched between bouts on the trainer. The idea is to bomb my quads until I have to crawl back inside the house. I have similar thoughts on bench pressing. Recently I did a workout of ten sets of ten on the bench. Now, I want to start with a set of twelve reps, then up the weight and do another nine sets of ten. That should leave me sore for days.

Yes, I have some wet dreams also. No, not that kind. Swimming. I have done crazy swim workouts in the past. The wildest ones involved swimming mixed with running at the catfish pond. That, by the way, is a sport now. They call it Swim/Run, I think. But I do mine alone on the fish farm. It's a proven fitness builder, and I look forward to doing more of that this spring. The dogs, Pee Wee and Bear love it out there and need to go back.

And then there is the bicycle. I have more dreams than I have fitness or time or money. But I do have some time, and the fitness is returning. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment