Thursday, November 29, 2018

The Unmentionable Event

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." Not only that, but I'm beginning to feel the inner rumblings of something I will not even mention yet. I'll begin to name it after the first of the year. That is my tradition, and I will stick to it. But already it is informing my training decisions. Last week I did  6,250 yard session in the pool. This week I hope to exceed that. If you are a regular reader of this blog, you know why. Ordinarily I am only swimming twice per week for a total of about 6,000 yards. This year I am swimming four to six times per week for 12,000 to 15,000. Still, however, I am not in terribly good form. My times are off, and my endurance is suspect. But with the yards and the weights, I feel like I am beginning to come around.

Training for marathon swims is a lonely venture. Not only that, but it is a lonely adventure. I do, however, miss the camaraderie and the competition of swimming with a squad, like I did for years at Harvard on the Highway. I may drive to DSU, I'm sure I swim during the Christmas break some so I can gauge myself against the guys I used to drag up and down the pool. Can I still do it? My times in the pool while alone say no, scream it. We'll see.

One area where I am not alone is at Plate City. With Trevor as my workout partner, I now lift harder and more consistently than I did when I was out there by myself. Will this make a difference in June? It should. It will. I only have to keep doing what I am doing, and I should show up in all-time shape. Not only that, but I have some ideas. My running has crashed again but Trevor has the thought of setting up my bike trainer under the Swim Pull machine. Cha Ching! I haven't done it yet becuase I need to do some wood work, but it's coming.

All in all, the excitement is beginning to grow. The fitness is slowly building. That lake, my liquid mistress is waiting. I will meet her this June, God willing. Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment