Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Aftermath of the Egg Bowl

There iws a lot of absenteeism at work today. I'm not talking about students, but faculty and staff. I kid you not when I saw the reason is the Egg Bowl. I saw on of my unfortunate colleagues and told her, "I'm sorry for your loss." She almost broke into tears, but managed to not cry, but did express her disgust.

At church Sunday, I told one of my parishioner that I was sorry for her loss. I offered her  my hand to shake. She glared at me like she wanted to claw my eyes out. People take this thing really seriously. Especially Ole Piss fans. They have an elevated view of themselves, their school, and their football program. Schoiol pride is one thing, but delusion is another.

Ole Miss has had, over the years, more success than Mississippi State. I am convinced that that is the only reason many of their 'fans' pull for them. They don't know what it is like to lose, to support a struggling program, to be faithful through hard times. If you watched the game, which was in their stadium, you noticed a lot of empty seats. A lot of empty seats. They knew ahead of time that they were in for an arse whooping and simply would not endure it. State fans, on the other hand, fill the stadium even if an imminent butt whooping is coming. 

Then there is the matter of social media. Last year, Ole Miss fans applauded bad sportsmanship as well as the intentional injury to our quarterback. One even told me it was OK because State fans were rude to their players. Rude to their players. Ya think? This year, Ole Miss fans showered our players with soft drinks. Rude much? Dude, who really gets bent out of shape about something like that. Wait, don't answer, Ole Miss fans that's who. I guess I should lighten up. I know some good people who pull for the school up north. If not for them, I'd tell you what I really think.

On a bright note, this was the first Egg Bowl I ever watched where you could not telll the announcers were pulling for Ole Miss. Really, no exaggeration here. Normally is is obnoxiously obvious who the Yankee announcers want to win. I always wondered why. This time I detected no bias in the way they called the game. Maybe that is because the contest was so one sided that there was not opportunity to show where their sentiments lay. Maybe.

Anyway, it was  a glorious game. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment