Saturday, August 21, 2021

Finally Friday

It was nice to be off Friday. On Friday the 13th, I had to work. How appropriate. This time I slept in, went to the pool, took a run, and lifted weights. Let's talk about the pool first.

I wasted time and should have been there much sooner. After eating an early lunch, I ran some errands and then made my way to the little pool a bit after 12:00. I did the little pool, although the big one was empty, to prevent excessive sun exposure. This is not something I used to worry about, but now I do. I swam 

2,700 48:48
brick kick
200 medium paddles 3:35
50 tech paddles
total: 2,950 yards.

I know what you are thinking. Why didn't you do another 50 for an even 3,000? I am lazy like that, feeling like I had had enough. The tech paddles, by the way, are a set I have owned for years, but I only recently rediscovered while moving. My wife and I are in our second year of relocating from West Monroe to the Hideout. The tech paddles have a hand grip which takes take the hand out of the pull. The paddles are on the low wrist so you have to pull water with your wrist and forearms not your hand. The purpose of this is to force an early vertical forearm position. This felt really weird but good weird.

I did not run far, only going 1.2 miles. I was pushed for time, my fault for lounging too long. Also, it was hot. So I got a small one in, better than not running at all.

Since I did not lift Thursday, the push workout was back up. Remember my new bench program? On the heavy day I do 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 reps. When I can make the 5 reps on the last set, I increase the weight. On the light day, I only do four sets: 5, 10, 10, and 20 reps. When I can get the 20 reps on the last set, I raise the weight. Last week, after four weeks of building, I made the 20 reps so I went from 110 to 115 pounds. The bench workout, with warmup sets and back down set, went like this:

  12 X 45
  7 X 67
  3 X 100
  5 X 115
  10 X 115
  10 X 115
  16 X 115
  8 X 110 (one board)
  8 X 100 (two boards) the boards are put under the front of the bench to give a      slight incline.

From the looks of that, it is going to be another four or five weeks before I go up on rep day. That is OK. I am making progress. When this program stalls, I will test my one-rep max and then move to another approach. I already have one in mind. "Everything works," said one famous coach, "but nothing works for ever." Oh, that was Louie Simmons, if you are wondering. 

Of course I did lots of lateral raises, fifteen sets. What?!?!?! Yes, I am forcing some improvement in my delts. And it is working. That is a lot of work but the work is working. I want my wife to be proud of me when I take my shirt off. I am built better now than I was when she married me 44 and a half years ago. Being a trophy husband is a hard job, but it is mine and I do it dutifully. In addition to the above, I also did two sets of Viking presses, and three sets of seated dips.

Three workouts, one day, one tired man. My wife and I went to Larry's for supper. It was good, yeah. I slept like a log in the woods. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment