Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Strong Start

I got a strong start to my week of training Monday. I got up early, yeah, I know, I rarely do that anymore. I arose at 5:20 and was on the road running by 5:32. The moon was full or almost so, the air was warm, and the streets quiet. I made my way through town to the Tallahatchie bridge, over it, and out Money Road. 

On the way, I went under a street light and saw about twenty birds on a line. It was still very dark. On Money Road, I deer crossed the road ahead of me. I went out 2.55 miles and turned around. It was daylight by then. 

Getting up early and running is neat. It feels good and watching the sun come up is always a treat. But to watch that sun, you have to beat it out of bed. That is the part that I don't like.

After school, I took a nap then went to the pool where I swam

2,850 51:52
brick kick
200 medium paddles 3:30
6 X 50 @ 1:30 (all 41s and 42s)
150 small paddles
total: 3,500 yards = 3,199 meters

That was my biggest swim in a while. That is alright that I have backed off some. You need peaks and rest periods. I need to get a calendar out and program my buildups and back offs. 

At the gym, I went hard. This was heavy push day. Last week, remember, I got the 5th rep on the 5th set at 152 pounds. This week I went to 154 pounds. The bench workout looked like this:

  12 X 45
  7 X 67
  3 X 100
  1 X 144
  1 X 154
  2 X 154
  3 X 154
  4 X 154
  5 X 154 !!!
  4 X 144 2 boards (under the bench for a mild incline)
  7 X 134 2 boards

After the fourth set when I barely made the four reps, I had decided that three was all I could do on set number five. When I pressed, however, I felt like I could get four. After four, I knew I had a 60 - 40 chance of making the five, which I did. So next week I go up again.

I did three sets on the seated dip, and sixteen sets of lateral raises. Yeah, I do a lot of those and they are paying off. I forgot, however, to do the NSM. I just forgot. I don't know how that happens, but I seem to be pretty good at it.

Three workouts and a workday is not bad. In fact, it is good. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment