Thursday, March 3, 2022

A Set Called The Meet

Wednesday is heavy leg day at Plate City. We did it. Tyler was especially energetic. He was pumping those weights like he was mad at them. I did eight sets of squats. Yeah, I did.

After those eight sets, I realized why my running numbers were so low last Wednesday. The last thing I did before heading out the door was to look at last week's numbers for Wednesday. When I started running, I connected the dots. Last week, I did 1.12. This week I upped it to 1.3. Then I did 15:15 on the stationary bicycle. Yeah, I'm bad like that.

At the pool, something really rare happened. Tyler was late. I know, he works a job, has lots of responsibilities, and life happens. I was about to conclude that he wasn't coming, and give in to my laziness, and go home when he came in. I had already done a little warming up. We did another 500 and then swam a set I call The Meet. It went like this:

  200 @ 4:00
  50 @ 1:45
  100 @ 2:30
  50 back @ 1:45
  50 breast @ 1:45
  500 @ 9:00

I call this one The Meet, because it is everything I will swim in the Mississippi Senior Olympics all done within 22 minutes. The actual swim meet will take over three hours, so if I can swim good times in all the events in just a hair over 21 minutes, I am fit enough for the meet. I swam the 200 in 3:05, the 100 in 1:28, and the 500 in 8:10. So I was pretty happy about what this revealed about my fitness. This is a tough set of 950 yards of race-pace swimming involving three strokes all done in 21:15. Tyler swam the 200 in 2:40. He beat me in everything except the 50 back (he had a bad turn) and the 500 free at the end. His endurance has come way up, but it is not at the top yet.

Another strong training day is in the bank and Quadrathon is 24 hours closer. Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment