Friday, June 24, 2022

I Missed the Barn

I shot low. No, I missed the whole target. No, I missed the barn. Actually, I missed the broad side of the barn. 

The day started with me trying to sleep late. Somehow I just can't do that anymore. I suppose it's the product of getting up and going to work for so many years. But I can still lounge, blog, and drink coffee. Oh yeah, and pet cats. I can pet cats with the best of them.

But wait, that's not what I did. I and one of my old friends went to Acy's for breakfast. I have said it before and I will say it again, if you have never been to Acy's for breakfast, why deny yourself one of the simple pleasures of life? Go, do it, live life a little.

After breakfast, I got to working on books. I cleared up one long standing load of books that covered up our dining room. I got a few stored in the outbuilding in the backyard. And I took a few hundred to the public library. Sigh. We still have a problem.

By the time I was soaking wet from moving books and all the coffee was drunk, it was lunch hour. Penny came home with a plate lunch from somewhere. It was good, and CC ate with me. She always wants me to share my food with her and I always do.

After lunch, I alternated between napping and reading. I was finishing up and biography of Gertrude Ederle. Who is that? you ask. She was the first woman to swim the English Channel. She was one heck of a swimmer, and I find her story fascinating. Her big breakout came in a 3.5-mile open water swim in New York City where she went up against a couple of America's best and the world's best, Hilda James of England. Ederle won easily and in an interview the next day said, "I didn't know I could win. I just wanted to have some fun." That pretty much sums up her approach to swimming. She just wanted to have some fun.

The story was so good, I decided to forgo running. I decided to forgo the gym. I decided to go to the pool fresh and "have some fun." At the pool, I did not have any fun. Remember that shoulder that flares up every now and again? Yeah, that one. It didn't hurt terribly bad because I did not let it. I stopped after 450 yards and thought, I am not going to wreck myself in here today. So I switched to backstroke and did 700 straight. Then I did 2 X 50 as 25/25 back/breast. After that, I decided I didn't want to have anymore fun.

So I finished the day with one simi workout, 1,250 yards swimming. That was it. But thank you, Jesus, for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment