Thursday, June 16, 2022

What Did I Do?

I'm trying to remember what I did yesterday because what I didn't do is pretty strong in my mind. I didn't ride. I didn't run. I didn't lift weights. So what did I do?

First, I wrote that piece on John, and I drank the whole pot of coffee. That took a good bit of the morning. I do remember thinking that it was too close to lunch to run so I bailed out on that idea, at least before noon anyway.

After lunch, I rested some. Drinking all that coffee wore me plum out. And then mid-afternoon I had an appointment with my financial advisor. That seems like a strange sentence for me to write.

I remember the time when I was a student at Wesley Biblical Seminary and our Septuagint Greek class met one morning at the Ramada Inn on County Line Road. The motel had a good buffet breakfast, and we ate and read Greek. I went back to get some more gritts, and a table of business men were nearby talking about putting $200,000 in this and $300,000 in that. The contrast hit me, and it hit hard. They were wheeling and dealing with hundreds of thousands of dollars, and we were parsing Greek verbs. I had made the trip there in a $200 pickup truck. I thought, "I am always going to be poor." But I also thought, "This (this knowledge) is what I want."

Well, by the great grace of God, I got my education, and I am no longer poor. The $200 truck is gone although I wish I still owned it. I loved that truck, and there was no way to be anything but humble when I drove it. I was humble and proud of it.

Some good people came by the house to pick up some Quadrathon T-shirts. Besides paying for the shirts, they made a nice donation. Crazy Man Quadrathon will be over $8,000 when I send in the next batch of money. Last year, the Great Geezer Run hit a new high for me at $7,000. 

By then, it was time to think about lifting. I talked myself out of that. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I mowed the front lawn again. That makes two days in a row, and it looks like palace.

After talking myself out of lifting, I talked myself into swimming. I went to the little pool and swam

  1,650 32:45
  10 X 50 @ :57
  250 medium paddles
  2 X 50 25/25 back/breast
  100 small paddles

That was a pretty good practice. I am still training with the State Games 400 meter free in mind. That set of 50s totalled 500 yards which is a little over the 400 meters of the State Games. The pace I was swimming them will get me the State record. But, I have to put them all together, or eight of them, with no rest. Can you do that? you ask. I will keep working these until the stamina is there and keep shaving time off the sendoff until my body can handle the huge dose of lactic acid this kind of swimming produces. Then the event, the adreneline of the competition, will bring it out of me on race day. Answer, yes, I can do it. That is my goal, and it will move me for a year.

Of course, there is a lot in between that and now. Up next is the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon. I am the swimmer on a team that should win that division. So I have to be able to go a half mile at a really hard pace. For that, I need some hard, long course 100s. I think I will work on that today.

Thank you, Jesus, for a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment