Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Do More

All Pee Wee said before I left the house after work was, "Do more." That is a pretty good training motto. He's good like that. So I went out and shuffled 6.1 miles. Then I went to the pool. Vicki and I had plans for a tough session. We swam

  1,000 warmup
  Main set
    4 X 50 @ 1:00
    200 easy
    4 X 50 @ 1:05
    200 easy
    4 X 50 @ 1:10
    200 easy
    4 X 50 @ 1:20
    200 easy
  4 X 25 no breath
  300 Vicki's cooldown
  350 small paddles
  200 back stroke, my cooldown
  total: 3,550 yards

That main set was tough, but it should pay dividends when the swim meets get here. It involved lots of sprinting coupled with volume. We did 16 50s and a total of 1,600 yards. And like Pee Wee said, we did more. Last Tuesday I swam 3,400. For the two days, I am 300 yards ahead of last week. I am doing more.

Before Vicki and I finished, Alaina came in. When I was getting ready to leave, she was swimming. I watched her do a few 25s freestroke and a couple of lengths of breast. I counted her strokes. Whenever I see someone swimming, I count their strokes. You can tell a lot about a swimmer by how many stokes he or she takes per 25. She did 19 and 21 on the freestyle. That is how many I normally take. On the breaststroke, she did 11 and 13. WHAT!!!!!!!!! I think our freestyle is about the same, but her breaststoke is on a whole 'nother level. It takes me 22 stokes to make the length of the pool when I attempt breastroke.

Back home, I was tired and did not feel like the gym. But I missed Monday and Pee Wee becomes very unhappy and causes trouble if I do not spend enough time with him. So I dragged out back and did a truncated push and pull workout. I did make some minor inprovements to the gym while I was out there. I drove a nail to change where I hang my tubing for my corator tuff exercises. When the girls and I were in Jackson, I bought two five pound plates and two more handles for my tubing. Now I can attach one end of the tubing to the nail, and I have four tubes hooked up and ready to use. Yehaa.

With the five pound plates, I used them on the chest-supported row. I went up to 80 pounds with six fives on the bar. After my top set, I did a muscle-blasting drop set. I pulled a five off and got right back on and did another set. Then another five off and more reps. I kept going until all the fives were off. By then, I had had enough. I think the rep count went like this: 6, 6, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, stop.

After all of that, I went inside and ate chilli. It was good, yeah. I was happy. Pee Wee was happy. Penny was happy. CC, well, I don't know what is up with her. She is hiding out, giving me the treatment. That makes me very sad if I think about it, so I don't think about it much. Jesus, send CC back to me, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment