Tuesday, March 14, 2023

I Took Pee Wee's Advice

I never realized how wise Pee Wee was until we had our chat the other day. He gave me a lot of advice, and it was all good. First, he said I should try to get back to my three workouts per day. Heck, I already knew that, but it was good to hear it and, it gave me a shot in the arm, so to speak. Next, he told me that he had rather I come to the gym everyday for a shorter time than to come for a long time for only a couple of visits per week. I agreed with him. You can put more into your workout when you divide things up like push/pull/legs repeated for a total of six workouts. Last week it was push, pull/push, pull, legs. Ouch, that hurt. You not only have time for more sets, but you also have time for more assistance exercises when you have a good split. In addition to all of that, he told me to get back on the road and to not let that hard-earned leg endurance slip away.

What can I say? He was right about everything.

So I hit the pool Monday morning in an attempt to get things started off right. While I was warming up, I kept rolling over in my mind what I was going to do. I thought about 2 X 7 on the 50s. And I thought about 500 for time. I even thought about a long straight swim. I haven't done one of those in several week. I wound up doing a medium straight swim, 3,350 yards at a slow(2:05) pace. It was good yardage although not the really long one I would have liked.

I did follow Pee Wee's advice again and hit the road for 6.4 miles. I even tossed in some multi-pacing. Just a little. But those were good numbers, and it set me on track for my three.

Penny made it easy for me when she went to some woman's meeting. Then I could go to Plate City and stay as long as I wanted without any feelings of guilt. I only did push, but for the first time in weeks, I did some seated rows in addition to my overhead presses and some flys on the new Titan machine. Pee Wee was happy, and when I came back inside the house, my shoulders and triceps were speaking to me. I liked that.

Thus, by following Pee Wee's advice, and by not being a sissy like he said not to, I did three workouts, all of them good ones, and have a strong week of training started.

How did I feel about the weather? you ask.

I loved it. I tried to enjoy the cold air because I know it will soon disappear, and we will long for some cooler temperatures. Enjoy what we have now because it will change very soon. The heat will be relentless and oppressive. I will try to enjoy that also. Thank God for the seasons. They keep life interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment