Sunday, March 19, 2023

Way to Ruin it, Momma

About 8:15 this past Saturday morning, we drove off from 722 Crockett Ave. Our destination: the Jackson area. The purpose: the granddaughter needed some clothes. The real purpose: we got to spend time together as a family. We is my wife, our daughter, and our granddaughter, Caitlyn, and me. 

We did our usual, which is to stop at Honest Abe's and get a dozen donuts to get us started right. After getting started right, we made it to Highway 49, found a high gear, and headed south. 

We were still north of Tchula when Penny said, "Look at that sky." The sun was shining through the clouds in a way that gave streaks of light radiating from the sun and throught the clouds. 

Andrea looked out the window and quipped, "It looks like fish meat."

Caitlyn resonded, "Way to ruin it, Momma."

She won the day, our granddaughter. That was the number one line I would hear for the rest of the trip. And believe you me, I am always listening.

When we made it to the first store, Penny told me to give them two hours. So I dropped them off and headed back to Madison for the big Dick's there. I made a small purchase then went back to the parking lot where I left the girls. I parked, did some clothes changing, and went for a parking lot shuffle. I ran 1.4 miles. That was enough. I had had a decent week on the roads. After that, I studied for Sunday's sermon until the girls finally emerged from the store with arms full of packages.

From there it was more stores. Then more stores. Later it was more stores. After that it was more stores. Finally, I was told I could drive south to Florence to Berry's Seafood Restaurant. When we got there, the parking lot was full, and a huge bus was on the frontage road out front. We drove around the back. It was full as were the sides. Then we drove up on the hill onto the grass way back and barely squeezed in between a couple of cars. 

Inside, the place was packed. We waited 33 minutes before being seated. Then we were in line 11 minutes before making it to the buffet. But it was worth every second. Their baked fish is the best. Plus they have chicken strips that make you say "Wow" and fried green tomatos. Not only that, but you can load up on frog legs and fried oysters. Yes, you read that right. They have fried oysters on the buffet. And shrimp every way Bubba mentioned them in Forrest Gump. They even have vegtables but the plates aren't big enough for all of that. The dessert table is bigger than a Pee Wee football practice field although I mostly eat fish for dessert. 

So we left Berry's and waddled back to Andrea's truck, pulled ourselves inside, and drove north. We stopped at Marshal's in Madison because the girl's wanted to finish the game, play the second half.

Fortunately, that second half was a short one because Marshal's closes at 9:30. After that, we drove to Kangaroo Court outside of Pickens. There Andrea and I bought coffee so we could stay awake on the drive home. As we made the rest of the drive, I kept thinking about the line that won the day. Let me replay the exchange for you.

"Look at that sky."

"Looks like fish meat."

"Way to ruin it, Mamma."

But Momma didn't ruin it. She never does, never did. I can't, however, stop thinking about that line. It is one that will live in infamy. "Way to ruin it, Momma."

It was a good day, one of the ones I will cherish forever. At the end of it all, as I snuggled under the covers and began to drift off, I kept hearing that voice, those words: Way to ruin it, Momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment