Tuesday, March 21, 2023

You Can Thank Me Later

It was a tough day to get any training done to start this week out. I had thought I would get up and run. I rarely set an alarm. Normally I wake up at 5:45 and that would give me plenty of time to run, to shower, to break fast, and to get to work. I woke up at 6:45. Yeah, time change. 

Monday is my long day at work. When I get off, I am pretty much spent. I did, however, go straight to the pool as fast as I could get there. Since I was so tired and Vicki was not there, I just basically did a straight swim. I can do that when I don't feel like training. When I stop on the wall, however, and my head and heart are not in the game, it's pretty much over for me. I did stop. But I swam nothing hard. It went like this:

  2,800 (at a 2:15 pace!!!!!!)
  300 small paddles
  200 medium paddles
  100 back with small paddles 
  50 easy
  2 X 25 no breath
  total: 3,500 yards

That was a pretty good total, but the practice was totally lacking in quality. That's O.K. They can't all be world beaters. Not to worry. I think to get in the pool and do some easy swimming is 500 times better than nothing. At least 499 times better.

I did not have time to run after the pool. I did not have time for Plate City after the pool. It was Over 60s night, and we can't miss that. Larry's fish is always good. Monday night it was better than usual. And the sauce I mix was the best I had ever done it. I ate enough calories to last a week for a normal human. But I am not normal. I am only a little bit fat and very active.

So, I started this week with good swimming numbers. Saturday is the Viking Half Marathon. I can't afford a taper. I have tapered twice in the past month and a half. And having missed a run Monday, I am in a bind. Heck, I live in a bind. I'd rather live in a bind, though, than to live without goals. 

I can't imagine life without goals. Where is that going to leave me when I am really old? I will create some new ones, something like walk fifteen miles on my ninetieth birthday. What if I'm in a wheel chair? See how far I can roll that thing. We can always come up with goals. If you don't have any, sit down and think. Dream. Wonder. Come up with a challenge, one that makes you think, plan, and train. 

You can thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment