Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sunday Summary

I was just going over some numbers in my training diary and discovered that I literally have swum more miles this year than I have run. My running total for the year comes to a paltry 367 miles. On the other hand, this has been the most prolific year of my life in the water having logged 618,853 meters, which translates to 384 miles. The bike has been such a non-event that I haven't even run the numbers. Probably I've biked less than 200 miles. Some change.

Somehow another week has gotten by without any weightlifting. Although I never train on Sundays, I was planning on it today, but a visitation and the care of my mother has even taken the possibility of sinning away from me.

I don't think I've written about my plans for next year's birthday swim. I want to do it again, but go farther and raise more money than this year. The plan that was forming in my mind was to do it at Ross Barnett Reservoir. The RezUltra Swim for Diabetes was the name I had come up with and 16-miles was the distance. I've even been talking to another charity, The Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi, I've come up with a T-shirt design, and I've dreamed a host of other plans. Last week, however, a chat with a friend threw all of that into disarray. Wilson Carroll, formerly of Greenwood, is training for Big Shoulders in Chicago. He told me of a couple of swims he did at Old Trace Park which is where I was planning on starting my swim. He was swimming there one morning when some runners on shore became hysterical and started yelling at him to "Get the #@%* out of the water!" He complied only to discover a large alligator was trailing him about forty feet to his rear. Going back the next day, the same thing happened again. He no longer swims there. Jeez Louise.

Scrap Ross Barnett. Now I'm thinking about going back to Chicot. I still have some other ideas and nothing is firm yet other than I want to swim really long again, and I want to raise more funds for diabetes. Lake Chicot solves a host of logistical problems, but I was wanting the excitement of swimming another body of water. Anyway, I'm still thinking, and I'm open to suggestions.

For the week I

Swam 21,805.9 meters
Ran 18.32 miles
Walked 2.31 miles

but did not weightlifting or biking. I hope to pile on some mega yardage next week. The countdown for The Swim the Suck started two weeks ago. I need volume, long swims, strenght work, and even speed work. Unfortunately I have to work and help take care of my mom, so  I just do what I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment