Thursday, August 2, 2012

Back Story and Back-to-Back 10Ks

Perhaps I need to add a little back story to make some of my future posts a bit more clear. For my birthday, June 2, I did a thirteen-mile swim in Lake Chicot which is located in southeastern Arkansas. My training buddy, Randal Beets, and Arkansas residence Robin Bond crewed me on a great swim which I turned into a fundraiser for the American Diabetes Association. The swim raised somewhere around $1400. You may wonder how I would not know exactly how much I raised. I mailed in $1250. There were several donations made online which the ADA notified me of but did not reveal to me the amount of these donations. So I only know for a fact that it was several donations over $1250.

Soon, perhaps  tomorrow, I will start posting my write up on that swim. I want to note that virtually everything I am doing now is a buildup to my next birthday swim. As of now, I am thinking of swimming Ross Barnett Reservoir. I have tentatively set the date at June 1, and the distance at sixteen-miles. Also, most likely I will change charities. Although diabetes is still the disease I want to fight, I am contemplating changing to the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi. This would keep all the funds in Mississippi and we certainly need the help here. I have taken a good look at the DFM and I'm convinced they are doing a great work and impacting the lives of people right here where diabetes is at epidemic rates.

Today I pulled off a first for me: back-to-back 10Ks. I did 10,400 in the pool yesterday, and today I went to the pond did another one. I've done two 10Ks in a week before. I've even done it this summer. But in the past, there was always a day or two or three before the second long swim.

I managed 6.43 miles of swimming (10,345 meters) and 4.13 miles of running. For me, just another day at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment