Sunday, March 8, 2015

Re-start, Week Two

My numbers were a little better last week but not much. To my great disappointing, I was able to swim only two times. But next week is Spring Break, and I hope to do some serious making up. The ponds are still far too cold for me to swim even with a wet suit, and Masters has been cancelled for the week. But DSU's pool will be open each day for a couple of hours, and I plan to make the trip as often as possible.

On the running front, things are getting a little better. After a major injury, it takes time to learn once more to trust your body. My trust has not fully returned but some came back last week. I need the running in preparation for the Chicot Challenge for a couple of reasons. One reason is the running prepares my legs for the ten to twelve hours of kicking I will do. I don't kick much, but a full day of two-beat kicking still takes a bit of fitness. Another reason is the cardiovascular benefits of running, especially this time of year when I can only enter the water sporadically, are crucial for a marathon swim. Finally, without running, controlling my weight has always proven pretty much impossible. The added weight is not near the impediment it is in running, but it is not ideal for swimming. 

For the week of 3/2-3/8, I

ran 13.37 miles
lifted weights three times
walked 9.47 miles, and  
swam 7,860 meters.

For the week of 3/9-3/15, I not only hope for a big week of swimming but some other things as well. I hope to use my week of freedom to do some work on Plate City Gym. One improvement I want and need to make in on my leg press machine. As it is currently set up, the range of motion is too limited. For the longest time I couldn't figure a way to rectify that but finally it came to mind how to make it work. Although that will not impact my swimming, it should help my running, general health, and enjoyment of the gym. Another thing I want to do is lay down a few more concrete blocks. Currently I have dumbbells and kettle bells sitting on grass. This will be primarily a cosmetic and convenience improvement. An improvement that could impact my swimming, however, is to redo my speed bag, which currently is unusable due to rotten wood. The speed bag is a conditioning tool used by boxers but swimmers can use all the help we can get.

My plans for Plate City also involve a greater use of cross-fit type workouts. Currently, I have focused primarily on traditional weight lifting. Slowly I have done more and more exercises cross-fitters do. One I made up myself but inspired by the c-f movement was to do a long set on the swim pull machine and then run a mile carrying hand weights. After several rounds of this, I felt worked out in a way that should translate into the water. I hope to spend a bit of time next week just thinking of new workouts. 

The Challenge cometh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment