Friday, March 20, 2015

Workday Friday

I went to the pond Wednesday afternoon and took a shuffle first while my thermometer soaked just off the bank. Mistake. While I ran, the clouds increased, and I lost my drive to wade into and submerge my body in cold water. I am extremely sensitive to sunlight. The more the sun shines, the more courage I have and the more I do. Clouds bring me down. It's a character flaw, I know, but one that I can't seem to conquer.

Also, the pond temp fell another six degrees since Tuesday.

I didn't swim.

After running I did ride around some scouting for a new pond. The catfish industry is rebounding from a long down cycle. During the crisis, a lot of ponds went out of production. Randy Beets and I used to swim in a huge block of ponds on PD Plantation which is a part of Tackett Fish Farm, the largest fish farm in the world. At that time, they had 9,000 acres of water. That number shrunk to 5,000 + but is currently on the way back up. That whole area was drained and turned into soybean fields. 

A few weeks back I drove over to PD on my way to DSU. Our old pond, PD 29, is back in production. I called David, my fish farm friend, and he told me that 29 was lightly stocked but it contained hybrids. I would love to swim that water, but the hybrids are rough costumers. When fed, they churn the water up like a huge school of piranha. Seriously. 

Wednesday I drove over to another block of ponds where we swam a few times. Last time I was over there, they were all drained. Bingo. I found them all pumped up and the levees in that block are really long. I measured one a .33 of a mile. That's two thirds of a mile just down and back not counting the end levees. But before I jump in, however, I am going to call David and find out what's in there. 

That was Wednesday. Thursday, I decided give myself no opportunity to fail, so I drove to DSU to "Get 'r done!" I/we swam

1,100
4 X 50 @ 1:30 25 fast/25 easy
100 25 scull/25 swim 25 scull/25 swim
4 X 50 @ 1:30 25 easy/25 fast
100 25 scull/25 swim 25 scull/25 swim
4 X 50 @ 1:30 25 fast/25 easy
100 25 scull/25 swim 25 scull/25 swim
4 X 50 @ 1:30 25 east/25 fast
100 25 scull/25 swim 25 scull/25 swim
end of Masters. I then swam
1,800
total: 4,100 meters.

At this very moment, I am at school. My students are writing and so am I. Luvie and Baby Kitty are lonely, not being used to me working on Friday. Despite having to work, I will have time for a swim today. The question is, to the pond or to DSU? I'll let you know what decision I make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment