Friday, March 27, 2015

Training and EndangeredSwimmer the Vlog

I've been posting a lot lately, for me at least, but there is a reason for that. My reading habits have changed over the past few years. Now, I automatically check out several blogs each day hoping for a new post. It seems that all my favorite bloggers have gone silent. Without my desired reading material, I have decided to write my own. I like my writing almost as much as anyone else's anyway.

Wednesday, one of my students, Roger Simpson, helped me set up and YouTube Channel aptly named EndangeredSwimmer the Vlog. I am about ten years behind the times in terms of technology, so I need people like Roger, who actually knows what he's doing, to help me. 

After work, I had several errands to run and was unsure if I would be able to make a swim or not. First I had a dental appointment which went pretty well. Then I went by Barry Brewer's to place the first order of this year's Chicot Challenge T-shirt. I made only a small order because I am still trying to round up some more sponsorship. After that I went by a printer to get some order forms and receipts fixed up. In May I am speaking in Jackson, MS to the state meeting of the legal professionals, and I was advised to bring T-shirts and order forms. Nice. I when I asked him how much I would owe him when I came back to pick up my order, he said, "Nothing. I'm going to take care of you."

Wow.

I would mention his name, but I think I should get his permission first. 

Since I don't have a Wednesday night class this semester, when I finished the errands I still had time to go to the farm and do a short swim. The cool side of the pond was 64 and the warm side was 66. I went skins and swam a little farther than Tuesday, stroking for 1.56 miles. I even looped all the way around instead of staying only on the warm side. Two degrees might not sound like much, but believe you me,  that amount makes a huge difference. After the swim I took a 2.03 mile shuffle and explored a little finding a road over one of the ditches that I didn't know about previously.

Thursday, Roger helped me upload two more videos and we threw around some ideas for making some new ones. Dude, I am stoked. Now that GoPro I bought two and a half years ago and used a lot for a short while, is back on the charger and getting ready for some new use. Sweet.

My plan for the afternoon was to go back to the pond. When I checked the weather, I noticed the temps were going to drop throughout the remainder of the day. That's when I settled an internal debate: skins or suit. I wanted to swim longer which is the only reason I was considering suit, but the weather forecast forced me to choose suit. I started getting my stuff together and when I stepped outdoors to load some stuff into the truck, the cool temps, north wind, and cloudy skies instantly sucked all my motivation away. That may sound ridiculous to you, but that's just the way I am. I went back inside and thought about things. Yep, I tapped out. Sort of. I decided instead to go to DSU since it is Masters night.

At the pool, I swam

1,000
8 X 50 @ 1:30 as 15 hard, 20 easy, 15 hard
100 easy
8 X 50 @ 1:30 as 15 easy, 20 hard, 15 easy
4 X 50 @ 1:30 breathing 3/5, 5/3
1,700
total: 3,800 meters.


No comments:

Post a Comment