Saturday, March 7, 2015

Redneck IM

After missing Masters Thursday because of a weather cancellation, I was eager to find out if the pool would open Friday. It did and I went. I saw Don Smith there. Don used to be a Dam swimmer before he went solo and swims at lunch three times a week. Seeing him reminded me a favorite set of his, the Redneck IM. What's that you ask? Basically the Redneck IM is the IM minus the butterfly, which few of us non-real swimmers ever learned.

Since the pool is currently set up for short course, I decided on a RIM set. What does short course have to do with it? Well, my endurance on the breast stroke is marginal at best. Doing one full length of long course is just about me limit, but short course 25s are doable. That makes 25 free, 25 back, 25 breast, 25 free. I found the set to be challenging. The whole workout looked like this:

1,150 19:59
4 X 100 RIM @ 2:00 (1:40-1:42)
1,150 19:47
10 X 50 @ 1:00
1,150 19:40
10 X 25 @ :30
total: 4,600 yards = 4,204 meters.

I did a small shuffle when I got home and that finished up my day of training.

Penny and I were scheduled to eat out with John and Patsy. Remember John? Like me he is itching for Twin Rivers to reopen so we can start training again. We eat out with them once a month. This time he called and said Patsy just couldn't make it but asked if we could come by and pray for Patsy. She has been having some severe health problems and the strain has been taking a toll on them both. If you pray, please add John and Patsy to your list.

My wife and I have now lived long enough to see firsthand how difficult getting old can be. It presents challenges that the rest of our lives leaves us ill equipped to deal with. I saw it with my dad. I am seeing it now with my mom. We saw it with Penny's mom. We are seeing it with her dad. We see it with John and Patsy.

Take care of your health while you are able. Enjoy your health while you can. Thank God for your health while you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment