Saturday, December 24, 2022

Proud

You're probably wondering if I got out in the cold. I'm proud to tell you about it. First, I went to the pool about a quarter till 7:00. From the deck, I could tell that the 6:00 o'clock crew didn't show up. And two windows were blown out. Bear in mind, the temperature outside was 9 degrees and the wind howled from the north coming straight through the open windows.

What's this about windows blowing out? you ask. They are constructed of plastic and have a lot of flex. When the wind gets high, they-- some of them-- will blow out and hit the floor. I think it's to keep the building from blowing down. Someone once told me that. Anyway, I put the windows back in the best I could. They had ice around the edges so they did not exactly fit like they were supposed to. When I finished, I could not feel my hands.

I don't know how cold it was in the building, but I guess somewhere in the mid fifties. Taking my clothse off was not pleasant. But I knew the water would be warm. The fog rising off the pool was so thick, you could not see from one end of the pool to the other. Not to worry. There is no fog under the water's surface.

So I got in and started swimming. I could feel the air's coolness on my back and shoulders while the water itself felt warmer than usual. Usual is 86. My guess was 88. Anyway, I did a straight swim of 2,500 yards in a little over 50 minutes. That was a nice practice which will address my basic fitness and jump start my water endurance. I'll need that endurance this summer.

When I went to leave, I noticed some flapping on the west gable of the building. What!?!?! I went outside to have a closer look. The west gable was covered in plastic, the roll out kind, which has broken in several areas. Dude, how can the building ever get warm with openings big enough to fly radio-controlled airplanes through? At least I got my swim done. I'm proud of that.

At home, you know what I did. The coffee was good, and like me being tired, the cats seemed to enjoy the cold weather. We snuggled. Yes, CC had to have top spot. I don't mind as long as she doesn't beat up the other cats. She still does that sometimes, but I'm proud she wants top spot with me.

Running? I thought about it. I did go to Plate City and would have run on the treadmill, but I had to put on my only pair of leather boots over two pair of socks to have a go in the then 15 degree air. I lifted-- push and pull-- but did not dare try to run in those boots. It was tough out there that being the coldest I have worked out in. But I did enjoy it. Pee Wee had fun. He ran and tore up his toys and barked at squirrels. When I would sit to do a set of lat pull downs, he always ran up and stuck his face into mine. I would pet him then ask him to "Let me do my set." He always obliged running off and shaking something like it was a small animal he was trying to kill.

He has done that. Penny was out back one day moving some old boards. A large rat ran out and she was shocked at how fast and furiously Pee Wee caught and killed it. It didn't suprise me. I've seen him kill a squirrel, race my truck, and fight a large dog. That little turd is tougher than a barbed-wire monkey. He is full of energy, hunting instincts, and drive. He is sweet, affectionate, and proud to own the back yard at 722 Crockett Ave. I'm proud to spend time out there with him.

My little buddy, Pee Wee, on guard at the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment