Wednesday, December 14, 2022

The Old Trio Together Again

Two or three of you might be wondering why I didn't post yesterday. I did not because I had a full day planned. This was the long-awaited day that I would travel to Flowood to get up with the other two-thirds of the unholy trinity, the crazy three, the bad boys from back in the day. I was to meet Charlie Turner and Lynn Watts for a sit down and a meal. This would be the first time the three of us had been together in about forty-seven or forty-eight years.

Before leaving for Flowood, however, I went to the pool and got a swim in. I did

  1,650
  3 X 25 no breath
  75 back
  total: 1,800 yards

I carried my day's clothing with me to the pool so I could leave from there. And I did. Leaving the pool, I headed south and did not stop until I got to Madison, where I picked up something new for Plate City. Then I continued my journey south. I made it to Walmart in Flowood where I thought we were to meet. Charlie showed up and after a bit Lynn texted and wanted to know where we were. Turns out, we, Charlie and I, were in the wrong town. The meetup had been set for Brandon, but somehow my mind mixed it up. I'm good like that.

To make a short story, long, Lynn travelled to Flowood, and the terrible trio were together again. Anyway, it did not take long to see that we would never leave the parking lot if I didn't say, "Let's go somewhere. I'm hungry." We might still be there talking about the old days. 

I had a hard time getting these guys on the road.

So we finally got a move on and drove west to Logan's where we were able to sit down, eat a steak, and have some good laughs. I ordered the 22 ounce porterhouse because they didn't have a 24 ouncer. I can't recount for you what we talked about. The Fifth Ammenment to the United States constitution says I don't have to incriminate myself so I won't. But I will say there was some talk about dragging an aluminum boat down an asphalt road at high speed. Bear in mind, in those days, air-conditioning in pickup trucks was a rare thing so the windows were down, and I recalled not being able to hear much for weeks afterwards.

We spent another half hour in the parking lot after our meal.

There was also some talk of a 12-gauge shotgun going off three times in an upscale neighborhood of Greenwood, of some fast spinning out and running stop signs getting away, and wondering how we didn't go to jail. Amazingly, several stories were told that I didn't know. When I protested that I was not there for those events, both of my old buddies vowed I was. Well, there is a reason I have amnesia about a lot of the past.

Hal Flowers came up. We hung out with him a little bit. Thank the good Lord we weren't together too much or we would have some long police records. He is the only person who rivalled Charlie Turner when it came to crazy. Lynn asked if we knew what became of him. You should have seen the look on Lynn's face when I said, "He's an infectious disease doctor at the hospital," I pointed west towards St. Dominic's.

I had to ask one question of Lynn. I already knew the answer, but I wanted confimation. I think I was absent the night Charlie and Lynn took to chopping down road signs with machetees. In those days, road signs were on wooden posts. Because of my friends, they are now on metal posts. I figure it was Charlie's suggestion because he was always had the best ideas. When I asked whose idea it was, Lynn pointed at Charlie. Poor Lynn. He would not have done half the bad stuff he did if it were not for me and CT. He was hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Now we are already thinking of when and where to get together again. We are not only thinking, but thanking. At least I am. Thank God we survived it all and even became solid citizens. That's what Jesus can do with the worst of us. Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment