Thursday, December 29, 2022

The Answer

Oh, you want to know about that. Okay, but give me a minute. First things first. And the first thing is I went to the pool late again. After 10:00 that is. I swam

  2,800 1:01:09

Yeah, that was it, a straight swim of one hour. Why? I felt like it. Plus there is a strong physiological reason for adding that into the mix. Alternating intensity with duration is solid training. Tuesday, I pushed the intensity button pretty hard. I am also slowly building the endurance base. So I will give you a multiple choice test of what I am likely to do at the pool today.
 
     a) a long slow swim
     b) a lot of back stroke work
     c) some intensity as in fast swimming and high heart rates

Remember this when taking a multiple choice test: choose C and win.

Yes, I hung out with the cats when I came home, but not for long. This is what you came here for, right? I chose to split my lifting into two sessions so I hit the gym about 1:00 p.m. Pee Wee was happy as the sun was out and the weather warm. That meant plenty of squirrels for him to harrass. I did my pull workout consisting of chest-supported rows, lat pull downs, and reverse flys with tubing. To all of that, I added a circuit of the Swim Pull, followed immediately by 1:00 on the skierg, followed again by punching Bob in the face. See what I was doing? The Swim Pull is an exercise I created to build sports specific strength. I got Leflore Steel to fabicate me a special attachment for the lat pull down machine so I could replicate the movement of freestyle swimming under a greater muscular load than you get in the water. The skierg uses the swimming muscles in a high aerobic intensity spilling over into the anaerobic pathways. Bob is more cardio for the upper body, active recovery. I did that circuit for two rounds. That's the kind of training that will beat Randy Beets in the pool.

You guessed it. I hung out with the cats, watched some TV, and even took a nap. Then I was back at Plate City for my leg workout. I did the one I have been doing only I upped the volume a little. Oh, and I ran on the treadmill between set before the main squat sets started. I added two repetitions on my warmup, the did the 5 X 2 X 80% with 30 seconds rest between sets. After that, I rested for five minutes by walking gently on the treadmill and then added 4 X 1 X 80% with 30 seconds rest. I finished up with some leg curls and leg extensions. I should have done some more, but my ailing wife wanted me to pick someting up for supper. 

After supper, I watched the rest of the Arkansas game. Good gosh amighty. That was way too stressful. Then the Ole Miss game was a huge disappointment. Even I was pulling for them but in vain. Thus it was a full day. I trained three times, loved up on the animals, and talked to my wife some. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment