Saturday, July 29, 2023

I Need That

Friday is usually a big day for training. When the weather cools that is. This Friday started out with me meeting Tyler at the pool at 6:15. We did a straight swim. I did, however, have to stop after the first 50 to move a robot. Then I went 1,650 in a row in the big pool for 1,700 long course meters. Not a bad start. 

It got really hot, and I went out for a run about mid-day. I took to the sidewalks along the boulevard to catch some shade. I really do remember a time when I never considered shade. Those days are gone. I even had to walk some blocks to help me control body heat. To make a short story long, I shuffled 3.52 miles and walked half of a mile.

Earlier I had talked to Jimmy Pelley. We agreed to meet at 6:30 p.m. at Fox's Pizza in Lake Village, Arkansas. The Pelleys, Jimmy and Rhonda, live in Rayville, Louisiana. It's about an hour and a half trip for them to Lake Village and about the same drive for us from Greenwood, Mississippi. 

Why Fox's Pizza? Two reasons. One, they have really good pizza. Two, you can also get a steak there. 

What!?!? A steak? 

Yeah, they cook steaks at a pizza joint.

But isn't that a chain? How can they get away with that?

The owner of that franchise got permission to cook steaks at his Fox's. And they cook a good one. I saw a spot on this Fox's on an edition of True South, a show that comes on the SEC Network. True South tours the South East and explores the culture, uniqueness, and food of towns throughout the South. Lake Village was one of their episodes, and Fox's Pizza was right smack in the middle of it.

I was already familiar with Fox's in Lake Village. That is where I always ate the night before the Chicot Challenges. Pizza is a good food before an extreme endurance event like that. The carbs, sodium, and fat serve one well while swimming for ten plus hours. Trust me, I have tested that hypothesis, and it works.

So we had steak AND pizza. That's a pretty good combination right there. And we had it with old friends. That made it even better. It was 10:00 p.m. when we got home, but it was worth it for these old folks to be up that late.

Thank you, Jesus, for old friends. Bless Jimmy, Rhonda, their kids, and grandchildren. Bless their church, health, and impact on their town. And thank you for Fox's Pizza. I need to go back and eat their biggest steak, the Cowboy. Since I was eating pizza plus a steak, I only ordered the 16 ouncer. The Cowboy is a 28 to 32 ouncer. I need that.

Our friends, the Pelleys.

No comments:

Post a Comment