Thursday, July 27, 2023

We Kicked Butt and Took Names

My winning ways continued Wednesday despite the fact that I did not hit it early. I slept in, drank coffee, and hung out with CC. Then I went to the little pool and swam

  2,250 45:22
  3 X 300 r - 1:00
    1 - 5:10
    2 - 5:09
    3 - 5:06
  550 small paddles
  total - 3,700 yards = 3,381 meters

That 3 X 300 is now my favorite hammer practice. It feels right and makes me hurt in a way I like. It should be perfect for preparing me for my pool meets, for the 200 and 500, and I think it is a good Heart O' Dixie workout also. That's 900 yards of quality swimming, of swimming in what runners call Zone 4, that pace where you aerobic capacity is maxed out and you are on the verge or crossing over into a more anaerobic metabolism. That was real training right there; I don't care who you are.

Even though it was leg day, I did go out to the City around 3:00 and do a short treadmill run. I went 1.41 miles. A short run is better than no run. Most of the time.

Forrest came over and so did Paul B. That made Pee Wee very happy. Paul B and I did legs starting with the hip ab/adductor machine. After three sets of those, we went into our squats and performed four sets of them. We cut the reps back a bit because of what was coming up. Next was the trapbar deadlift at only 3 X 1. That was for the bones. I like to overload that to stress my skeletal system. But that's not what I was talking about when I said "what was coming up next." Remember that new machine, the leverage squat machine? That's what was coming up next.

I already had the machine loaded. The idea was a drop set. I started with six reps, then Paul pulled a five off each side; I did another six reps, then a ten came off each side; six more reps, and another ten off each side; six reps done and another twenty pounds off; six more reps and I was cooked. Yeah, that. That was thirty reps done is one long set. He did it and added reps after that last weight reduction. In short, we kicked butt and took names.

So I had a good day. A nice swim practice, and short run, and a monster session at Plate City made for one very tired man. I slept well. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment