Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Let's Avoid That

A gutteral growl startled me into the twighlight zone, a racket brought me closer to consciousness, then a cat running across my face picking up spead as she did had me full awake. Yeah, that. At 3:00 o'clock in the morning. 

This morning, I have a swollen lip and a few puncture wounds to my face. The offending party is by my side purring like everything is OK. That's because everything is OK. Anybody else a sucker for cats like that?

Monday I trained pretty hard in the pool doing 2,900 yards. Tuesday, I cut it back a bit with

  1,300
  10 X 50 @ 1:00
  250 easy
  2 X 25 no breath
  50 easy
  total: 2,150

I know ___ X 100 @ 2:00 looks like ___ X 50 @ 1:00. It's not, though. Really it's not. If you don't believe me, try it yourself. X 50 @ 1:00 is more intense. Why do it on a taper? It was less volume than what I did Monday. The total yardage dropped by 750 while the intensity went up a little. Right or wrong, that's what I did. I think, however, after looking at the info in Garmin Connect that a longer interval is called for with 50s. The swim pace for the two practices was exactly the same. You do a set like that to build stamina. What advantage do 50s have for stamina over 100s? I can't figure it. A longer interval on the 50s will mean a faster pace which is why you swim 50s: for speed. Lesson learned.

I did a little mowing. That's when I realized it was crazy hot out. Forrest came to the City. I only did some neck work and some stretching. I am performing no upper body lifting this week. Yeah, I am trying to get my body dialed in for Saturday. I wrote it before: I'm afraid that if I don't swim well at the HOD, my cousin, Shay, might put a contract hit out on me. Let's avoid that.

Forrest accepted a ride home. He ran over, lifted some, then I drove him home. I checked my phone while we were at the City. The heat index was 113. That's a little warm for man or beast. Even Pee Wee has been coming inside a lot lately. He loves to nap in his whatever you call it, cage thingy. He's a rich dog. He has two houses and a gym outside and his own room inside. Plus he has health insurance, good pay, and a retirement plan. He's worth it all. So are the cats even when they run across my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment