Friday, June 14, 2019

Back to the Crew

My parents are buried between Ruleville and Cleveland, and Penny and I have grandchildren at Skene (a few miles west of Cleveland). Not only that, but there is a Masters swim crew that I trained with for years at DSU. To cut straight to the chase, I was overdue for a trip to my old college town. Thursday, I made that journey.

Before I made that trip, however, I first did a short trainer ride and some low volume squats at Plate City. Every little bit helps, and I can't afford to neglect leg strength. I have none of that naturally.

I got a late start going west due to business, a funeral visitation, and some necessary shopping. But I stopped by the cemetery and did what I usually do. I just got out of the truck and stared at the headstone for a couple of minutes and left. I have never been a graveside visitor, but I do stop fairly regularly at the Lehrton Cemetery to spend a few moments at Mom and Dad's grave.

I then went on the the kids' house, as Penny and I call it. Caitlin was baking brownies. Who knew? I got mugged by the dogs and hung out with Zane. When 6:00 o'clock came, I headed to DSU, to the pool and the Mad Swimming Scientist as I call him. We swam long course meters thusly:

1,100 (they did 800 skips, I did straight swimming)
4 X 100 breathing 1st 25 no breath, 25 every 3rd, and 50 every 5th. 
8 X 50 @ 1:30 decline 1 - 4 (my best times were 44 and 44)
3 X 100 same as above but the last 50 breathing every 9th
300 easy with paddles
total: 2,500 meters.

It was nice to swim with the old crew again. Duke was not there and neither was Tabatha. I missed them, but it was good to see Ricky and Mark. I need to go back every couple of weeks. Not only do I enjoy the company of other swimmers, it is good to have a coach tell you what to do, to make you do things you would not do on your own. I never do breathing patterns when I train alone. Never. And the grandchildren are growing up. You can never get that time back.

God gave me a good day. Thank you, Lord.

It was a good day and I enjoyed driving home in the daylight. Jesus is the light of the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment