Sunday, June 30, 2019

Small Three

Saturday I did three workouts, but there were no monsters in the bunch. I was supposed to meet John at the pool at 9:00 a.m., but I was a no show. I just wasn't up to it and I stayed in, studied, and drank coffee. I did go to the little pool around 11:30 and swam

1,000 18:48 (1:52)
200 small paddles
4 X 25 @ :46
4 X 50 @ 1:06 medium paddles
4 X 25 @ :46
100 small paddles
total: 1,700 yards = 1,553 meters

That was pretty brief, but I didn't have a lot of energy, and I discovered the 25 felt good and I ought to do more of those. If I am to achieve the time goals I have set for myself for the 2020 Mississippi Senior Olympics, then I need to develop more pure speed. To do that, I need the 25s and 50s for speed and the 300s for stamina. 

I went out in the early afternoon for a short, easy run. I was knocking on the door of a twenty-mile week so I finished that out with a 2.27 mile effort. In the past, I discovered that twenty miles is sort of the threshold of run training. At twenty miles, I am getting in the minimum volume I need to get in shape.

Later still, I went to Plate City and did a bit of everything. On the bench, I pressed

10 X 95
10 X 100
10 X 105
10 X 110
10 X 115
10 X 120

To that, I added 13 X 30 on the incline dumbbell bench press. I also did more pull ups than I have a a few years, some Swim Pulls, and I even played around a bit with some alley stuff. 

I went to Tractor Supply and bought a tow strap for pulling a sled and a tire that I fixed up a long time ago but haven't messed with in a long time. I found out that I need some weight in the sled. I did some suitcase walks with a 45-pound kettlebell and I also played with the over-the-bar thing. I used a 50-pound dumbbell and found that is still a bit too light. The picture to the right is the bar that I set up to lift and push stuff over. I am still experimenting with this, but I'll figure it out.

To make a short story long, I had a good day with three nice workouts. Thank you, Jesus, for good health and the energy to use that health.

No comments:

Post a Comment