Friday, July 23, 2021

A Private Investigator?!?!?!?!?!

My cell phone rang at 7:30 a.m. "Zane Hodge?" the voice on the other end asked.

First, it is a thousand wonders I even answered. I am already poised to assault those extended warranty folks, and I was pretty sure that was who it was. I don't know anyone from Meridian, and my cell phone said the number was a Meridian number.

"Yes," I answered, probably sounding irritated.

"This is Thomas Demeo. I'm a private investigator from Meridian."

O.K. You have my attention, I thought. What is this about?

"I was hired by Anthony to find the best swimmer in Mississippi and east Alabama who is not signed up for the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon."

Anthony? Huh? What?

"You are that man."

"Who is Anthony?" I finally spoke.

"Anthony is a talented runner from Philadelphia, Mississippi. He signed up for the Heart O' Dixie Triathlon as a team, and he has a solid cyclist on board. He needs a good swimmer for a championship team."

"Oh. O.K., I'm interested."

"The date is July 24th. I can give you his cyclist's name, and you can contact him. In fact, you know him, Shay Darby."

"Yeah, Shay is my . . ."

"Cousin," he finished my sentence. "I'll give you his number."

"I have his number. You don't have to give it to me."

"I am also prepared to rent you a room."

"I have a place to stay. My aunt, Shay's grandmother, lives in Noxapater. She will put me up and feed me like a starving pigmy at an all day dinner on the grounds at church.

"Well it is all set then. Call or text Shay with the information he will need to officially add you to the team. The entrance fee and one-day memberships have been paid already."

"Great."

"Any questions?"

"Yeah. One. Shay knows about my swimming. Why hire a private eye?"

"That was Anthony. He wanted the very best, and he was skeptical about you because of your age. I did a swimming resume on you and several other swimmers. You won out easily."

"Thank you. Thank you very much."

"Thank you. And congratulations on The Great Geezer Run and the State Senior Olympics."

"Wow. You did investigate didn't you."

"Just doing my job."

So just like that, I went from thinking about the Heart O' Dixie, from wondering if I had the moxie to do it this year, to being a part of a squad that could win the whole team division. Then I realized that I still don't know who Anthony is. I guess it doesn't matter. I know Shay. I know the Heart O' Dixie. I am in. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment