Thursday, July 1, 2021

John Is MIA, the Water Was Cruel, but Mississippi State Is the National Champion

He didn't even show up. John. And no, he did not call. He never does. Yet when I tell him today that I will not be there tomorrow, he will be aggravated at best.  

Besides that, I did not have a strong day in the pool. It was one of those where I was just trying to get the distance in anyway I could. To start with, I only swam 1,200 as a warmup. That was a sign that I was not feeling it. My overall energy level was down and my swimming muscles had no zip. After the warmup, I swam some 100s with Vicki Jee. I met her at the little pool a few months back, and she went to Biloxi for the senior Olympics. She was not feeling it either, but working together helped me a some. I would give her a head start, then I had something to chase. We did six and she tapped out. That left me alone trying to get to 4,000 while not even wanting to be there. I slogged on and swam

500 large paddles

400 medium paddles

400 small paddles

6 X 50

100 large paddles

200 small paddles

total: 4,100 long course meters.

Well, I got the distance in, but there was little quality. Sometimes that happens. Maybe today I can pull off some speed work. To swim fast one has to swim fast.

The roadwork was not much better. My recent running slump has lasted long enough to affect my fitness. I went down on the river trail. It is still a bit messy but better than last week. The eastern end is runnable, but there is water standing on the western half. I did 3.4 miles at a walking pace.

I found someone to work on my mower and delivered the thing to him at 5:00. Then I went back home for leg day at Plate City. I did not hit it too hard, but am rebuilding the squat after letting of the workload for a while.

When that was finished, I took a shower and some nutrition then settled in for some baseball. Mississippi State was playing Vanderbilt for the national championship. State had never won a team national championship in any sport. The game started right and got better. State won 9 - 0, and I am not ashamed to say I cried. I just did typing that. I did not pray for them to win. I prayed for them to play a good game. They did and that was enough for a dominating victory. Thank you, Jesus. Thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment