Friday, August 18, 2017

Friday Morning Swim

After writing my blog post, I was supposed to meet John at Twin Rivers. He told me last week that he overheard the ladies water aerobics class say that they would not be there next (this) Friday. So, finally being off and with the shoulder improving, we decided to have a swim since we would have the pool to ourselves.

The plan was to meet at 9:00. I drove up on the hour to a pool full of ladies. I called John (who had not left home yet!) and told him I was coming at 10:00. I know I could have swum with them, but I am still getting used to swimming in general and swimming without the lane lines in particular, and I didn't want the added pressure of trying not to swim into one of them while being a mere shadow of my former self.

So I came back at 10:00. Actually, I was late because I knew John would be tardy. John is always tardy. I chatted with Susan Walker and Linda Gail Fondren a bit and then got into the water at 10:13. John was still not in sight. Sigh.

I started swimming and instead of stopping after the first 50 like I've been doing, I flipped and swam back. When I felt nothing in the shoulder, I kept going after the first lap. Since beginning the comeback, I have not gone over 300 straight and that only after a slow and deliberate warm up that starts with 50 at a time. This time I did two laps, then three. At the end of three I kept going and did four, then five and sixteen. Yeah, I kept going for 1,600. I began to be aware of the upper biceps tendons-- not pain or even discomfort, just awareness-- so I tapped out after a slow mile. I was pretty satisfied with that.

John came up when I was about 1,200 in. After swimming, I did 500 kick with fins, then chatted with John a bit and went home. My pace was a pitiful 2:08, but at this point, it doesn't matter. I am thrilled to be swimming at all. Hope grows. Thank you Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment