Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Six or Seven

I ran across Blog Nation a while back. This is a website that categorizes and catalogs blogs of maybe any grouping you could ever name, think of, or dream up. As a swimmer, I spent a lot of time in their swimming section and wading through (see what I did there?) dozens of my fellow simmers writing sites. I am always looking for good blogs to read and running and swimming are my cherished categories. As an English teacher, my eye was drawn to the Creative Writing tab. I clicked it. Then I began to scroll through page after page after page of lists of blogs devoted to fiction, essays, and poetry. Have mercy, I have not even finished a scroll through them all there are so many.

One title caught my attention, and I could not resist clicking on it and going to the actual blog. This one is called Six Sentences and is dedication to various authors posting short stories that are confined to only, you guessed it, six sentences. I thought I had either heard or seen or done or thought of everything but that had never so much as entered my mind. I found the concept intriguing for the same reason I find haiku fascinating. A haiku, at least in its classical form, is only seventeen syllables. If one chooses those syllable carefully, one can say a lot in those three short lines.  

A short story in six sentences? What an idea. It's sort of like prose haiku but just a tad longer. I read some of the posts and I liked a few and others I did not. What else is new? But now I am captured like a fox in a steel trap and will have to try my hand at this heretofore unknown-to-me genre. So now you know if you see a post title Six Sentences 1, etc. Or maybe I will expand it and do seven sentences. Yeah, that's it. On this blog, I will take a shot at writing seven sentence short stories. I bet you can't wait can you? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment