Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Tuesday

Tuesday was full from early to late. I left Moorhead about 1:30 after teaching three straight Comp I classes and keeping my obligatory office hours. Then I went to Mom's to take her to the hospital for a chest X-ray. After that I went home and crashed. Ever since Mom made me take naps as a little boy, I have had the need to put my brain in neutral for a few minutes each day. I don't get to do that at school. It doesn't take much, the neutral, but I need a short nap around mid-day. If I don't get it, I become extremely tired, cranky, and difficult to get along with. Not getting that break until 4:00ish, I went sound to sleep when I finally got the chance to slow.

At 6:05 I went the Twin Rivers still feeling tired to the bone. I had the pool all to myself. That's the way I like it. One problem though, that blasted robot was running. I hate it, but it is better than attempting to swim with kids in the water. I swam 1,800 straight in 39:46, a shockingly slow 2:12 per 100 meters. I know it really doesn't matter at this point, but that hurt my feelings and gave me great pause. Normally, a warm up pace is around 2:00 give or take a couple of seconds. This is the second day in a row that my pace has been about that. Will it come back? I have not had a long lay off like this before so this is new territory. I have been in new territory for a long time now and it wearies me. I am thankful, however, to be able to swim at all. I know I am not in shape. But 2:12!!! Monday's swim was 1,700 at 2:11. Is that the new normal?

After the swim, I went back to the hospital to visit a lady who has been attending our church. Then I went home and hung out with Luvie, watched a segment of Manhunt: Unabomber, and zonked out early.

It is now Wednesday morning and we are journal writing in Comp I. The plan today is to take my second reward of office hours off (for work late on Late Registration last Thursday) and meet John at the pool for an hour and a half of swimming. Want to bet he is late?

Praise God for imperfect friends. If I did not have less than perfect friends, I would have no friends at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment