Monday, August 28, 2017

Weather

The weather. I don't know how many times I've written about it, but I'm at it again. Not because I am that interested, although I am, but I'm in my second English Composition I class of the day and we are fitness writing. About the weather.

Fitness writing you say?

Yeah. Sort of like journaling. Actually, it is journaling, but I like the concept of writing on demand as a work out, hence the name fitness writing. And the topic, well that comes from one of the most ubiquitous topics of conversation, complaining, and pontificating known to mankind. Everybody talks about it, and complains even though we can't do a single thing about it. We can't change the weather. All of mankind's technological, educational, and meteorological advancements have left us hapless humans still unable to cure the common cold or change the weather one tiny bit.

I know we like to flatter ourselves and think we have caused global warming. I know that some people believe this phenomena is settle science. I know some people believe this so strongly that they think people like me, global warming doubters, should be imprisoned.

Don't reject that last statement. I heard it on the radio. I thought the shows host had to be wrong or at least it was only some sort of crazy fringe who would dare suggest such a thing. So I asked one of my radical friends about it, convinced ahead of time that he would poo poo the whole notion and say it was fake news, made up. Yes, I have at least one friend who is pretty radical. To my shock, he did not call it fake news but rather agreed that it is better that I and people like me should actually go to prison to protect the earth so that mankind might survive. I promise, I am not making this up. He told me this over breakfast, at the Waffle House in Greenwood, Mississippi, looking me dead in the eye while he did it. I even paid for our meal. Tell me again who the intolerant ones in contemporary America are. 

Oh well, I am a keen observer of weather since I have been a hunter and an all-day swimmer and all-day runner most of my life. Weather is pretty important to those things. But your observations are just anecdotal evidence you say. First, anecdotal evidence is evidence, and second, I really became a hard core denier when I caught NOAA  falsifying records. Yes, I caught them. I did. I think I could again, but I let it slide. What can I change? It's only me.

Maybe I should explain. A few years back, we had a string of record lows in July. Five to be exact. We had five straight record lows and on the coldest of those nights, the mercury dipped to 48 degrees Fahrenheit. Let that sink in. I was blown away because 48 is cold any time of year. That experience shook me severely because first, I didn't have a clue it could get that cold in Mississippi in July, and second, I thought about Genesis 8:28 which declares: 

   While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and 
   heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. (KJV)

Having a 48 degree low in July challenged my Christian faith like noting in life ever has. I finally concluded that we still had summer even though parts of it were actually cold, and the Bible was still true even though we had that cold day in July that I've heard people sing about and pontificate on as if it could never happen. You know, "It will be a cold day in July before. . . ." 

Fast forward to the summer of 2016. We had a record low in Mississippi in July. I saw the broadcast myself. The same meteorologist who reported the 48 degree record reported 58 as a new record low. I jumped out of bed in shock, called the station, and was sassed at and told if it ain't in NOAA it never happened. So I googled and searched and the official record is 58 degrees as the coldest ever in our state for the hottest of all summer months. That can only mean that they doctored the records, I assume, because the truth didn't fit the global warming narrative.

Another weather phenomena occurred a few years back that I haven't checked out but I bet if you checked NOAA, it never happened either. I remember this one well for two reasons. One, my wife's granddad used to tell me about a frost they had on May 4th that killed cotton. For the life of me, I could not believe him because I never saw anything close to it in my life. He must be mistaken, I thought. Then we had a very cool spring (they all are now) and we had "a record low of 34" on May 4th). This drove me nuts at the time because it was messing with my open water swim training. Now I have not checked NOAA to see what the all-time record is for May 4th in Mississippi, but I would be willing to wager that it is much warmer that 34. You do it yourself. Check it out. In fact, just start watching the weather on the local news. If you do that over several year, you will see that they have short memories.

That's all I'm saying about that.

Praise be to God who gives us good weather and promises us some stability, at least the seasons every year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment