Thursday, August 17, 2017

Oooops!

I left my lunch at home. Dude, I drove off to Moorhead without bringing the meal my sweet wife dutifully prepared for me. Jimmy Guiles used to say, "I have a forgetter that works overtime." He was speaking of himself, but I stole that sentence from him and unfortunately, I stole the problem also. Or maybe I inherited it.

So I am stuck here all day with anything to eat. Not to worry because I need to unfat a little bit anyway. OK. Stop it already. I need to unfat a lot. Actually, I began in earnest this week and have already dropped a couple of pounds. But, you protest, I thought you started a few weeks back. I thought so too, but somehow I didn't. I am on it now, however, and the motivation has finally arrived, mailed by God in answer to prayer, longing, and yearning. Thank you Jesus.

The motivation may be tied to a resurgence of hope. With a little swimming and a little walking and a very little shuffling, hope has risen in my heart like the July sun on a hot, clear delta day. Running, even a small amount, has always had an immediate impact on how I eat. I don't know why but I just become more picky about what and how much I eat when I am running. There is a huge correlation, of course, between body weight and running ability. The brain, I think, is aware of this subconsciously even when it is not floating around in our awareness. 

On forgetting my lunch, it was my wife's fault. Everything is. She parked behind me so when I looked out the front door this morning, I saw that had to move her truck in order to get out of the drive way. When I did that, I noticed all the trash cans on the side of the road and realized that I had to move ours from the back to the front so our garbage would get picked up. After I got the truck moved and the garbage can deposited on the side of the road, it was then time to find my keys. I have spent years looking for keys. Really, I wish I had all the time I have spent looking for keys. If I could roll that clock back, I would be a young man. To make a short story long, I left home in a huff and a hurry with narry a thought of my lovingly-packed lunch. My lunch, my lunch, oh how I miss thee.

To make matters worse, I am here today until 4:00 pm. Normally, I don't work that long, but I volunteered for some extra duty today. Why? you ask. I did it because I get the time back off next week and I figure I can use the time to swim at Twin Rivers. Speaking of swimming, I did it Monday for 1,300 meters, and Tuesday for 1,400 meters. After taking yesterday off to do a long walk, I hope to swim again tonight. Yeah, the plan is for 1,500 easy meters. Praise the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment