Saturday, November 19, 2022

Friday Again

Friday came around again, and it was my cutback week, remember? But while I am cutting back, I am also picking up my swimming a little bit. I swam Friday morning to make five mornings in a row, going in at my usual time. This morning, I swam 1,100 yards with a 500 in there and a little bit of backstroke. I felt like I was actually training, just not training much. By the grace of God, it and I will come back.

I went home, ate breakfast, and drank all the coffee Penny had made. It was only then that I began to think about going out for a run. I dressed and was out the door about 10:20 a.m. I headed over the Popular Street bridge, then east on Market Street and out what we used to call Medart Road. Now it is Viking Road. I had done some running out there a couple of months ago and had unfinished business in the area. There was a gravel road I did not run. Or were there two? I had questions that Google Maps could not answer in part because there is a new road built out there, and in part because levees and roads can be confusing on the internet. I could drive out, but running is much more persoal, up close and personal.

Out Medart Road Viking Road I ran. I went until I came to a gravel road that crossed the railroad tracks. This was new ground, new territory. What would I find out there? I knew from Google maps that it should run into the new road the Viking built to get their trucks in and out. By the way, they have not yet started using this road.

The view that opened up before me:
new territory.

When I got there, I train came along and blocked my progress. Having to wait only increased my excitement. What lies on the other side? I wondered. The train finally passed. and I was able to cross the tracks and run and brand new road one only two and a half miles from my home. Why have I never been here? I saw gate after gate and lots of posted signs. No doubt there is a lot of deer hunting out here.

A typical gate out that road. Someone's
land or lease. I'm happy just to run by.

Eventually, I hit the new paved road and found that it is still closed. Having passed it on Highway 7 a few weeks ago, I had the idea that it had been opened. I crossed the paved road and ran the gravel just to see where it went. As expected, it went to the Big Sand Creek leveel.

You know what they say: when you come to a
fork in the road, take it.

I ran up the levee and looked back towards Highway 7. It was down there about a mile or a little more. Then I looked the other way. I saw a big fence down there. Would I get in trouble if I crossed it? That question would not be answered today. I turned and ran back to the pavement. When I got there, the sign on the roadblock said, Closed to Thru Traffic. But I wasn't thru; I still had miles to go.



I ran on and found myself at the new overpass that I ran over a couple of months ago. Overpass? Yeah, they, Viking, built a huge overpass crossing the railroad line so their truck can get in and out without being busted by a train. Actually, I ran up the overpass, turned and ran back down so I could run up it again. Then I started running straight for the house. 

At this point, I was pretty slow. Actually, at the beginning I was pretty slow only now I was slower. When I got back into town, I added a block for some more distance. Then I ran down on the Yazoo River Trail. There I got to pee and I saw two squirrels. I finished with 9.36 miles. Not badk for workout number two. Yes, I did number three at Plate City. I'm bad like that. Thank you, Jesus, for a good time and good health to enjoy your creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment