Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Getting off on the Right Sore Foot

Monday morning came around and I was off work. You already know about my plans for the week. Every time I make big plans, they are always challenged from the start. Sunday night I came down with JKS. Just like that my "good knee" janked up, and I spent the night hobbling every time I took a trip to the bathroom or refrigerator. What did I do to it? Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Then on Monday morning, I had four substantial bowel movements before 8:00 a.m. I know, that is TMI, but I needed to say that to set up what happened next. I went to Carrollton and parked at the Dollar General there so I could run out Highway 17. After my four big bowel movements, I was ready to go. About 9:00 o'clock I got started and guess what? Yeah, that. Right away I was looking for a place to squat. No big plan goes unchallenged.

I guess they don't get many runners out here
judging by the look on their faces.

After about three miles, I found a somewhat suitable place. Down an embankment off the road was a tangle of large deadfalls. I went down there and climbed into the midst of the big fallen trees and solved my problem. Then back on the highway, I resumed my inexorable journey into fatigue. 

Highway 17, a jewel for running.

When I got about seven miles out, I encountered another problem. A yellow dog ran out from a house and wanted to go with me. Don't think that I wasn't flattered. But I was even more horrified. A dog tagging along with a runner on a highway is a recipe for disaster. I instantly had visions of the dog wandering into traffic and being killed. Even worse, I thought he might get hit and be maimed and in pain and what could I do? I once had to kill a deer with a knife. That was eight years ago, and it still bothers me. What if I had to do that to this dog?
 
I made it to Coila. Never been? Make a trip soon

I threw rocks at the dog and he slunk back. Then a little later and he was behind me again. I really hurled that time, almost hitting him. That did the trick, I thought. I stopped just outside Coila to take a selfie at their city sign. The dog walked passed me. I knew then that I had lost that battle, and I began to do some serious praying.

Downtown Coila

The dog and I went to downtown Coila. That's when I found out he was a she. She looked like a mix between a lab and a pit bull. We went through town and then to one of Coila's subdivisions. It was a dirt road leading out of town that had three trailer houses on it. Not only that, but there were some vicious-looking dogs out there that raised a lot of racket. Blondie, I'll call her, was nervous but followed me through the valley of the shadow of death. On the other side, I saw that she had some real hunting instincts. She stayed in the bush snorting, running, and trailing. She hit a trail about the time I was ready to turn around. I called her but she kept trailing. I turned and eventually she caught up with me and we went back through the subdivision, back through downtown, and then out another road that houses the rest of the inhabitants of Coila. We ran by all two of the houses.

Back on the highway, I was a nervous wreck until I saw that Blondie knew how to negotiate traffic. She trotted up Highway 17 on the shoulder about three feet off the pavement. When a vehicle would approach, she would get farther off road and stop and watch the car or truck pass. When I saw that, I relaxed. This was not her first rodeo.

My worry then was that she might follow me all the way back to Carrollton. Then I would have to load her into the truck and try to find her home. Not to fear, however, as she trotted on up ahead of me. I saw when she crossed the highway and when I got closer, I thought, that looks like the house she started following me from. And there she was standing in the yard. 

That's her, Blondi the wonder dog.

After I parted from Blondie, it was a slow but steady trek back to Dollar General. My feet were getting sore, and I was ready to be done. When I got there, I was a little bit tired. I had shuffled 17.22 miles. That's the kind of running I need to get ready for a marathon. That's the kind of running I need to get this week started off right. I had fun. I made a new friend. Next time I won't throw rocks at her, but will gladly take her down the road with me. We will have a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment