Monday, June 14, 2021

20/20

It has been so long since I did one, you might not remember what it is. A 20/20 week used to be the gold standard in my training. 

Huh?

A 20/20 refers to a training week when I run at least twenty miles and swim at least 20,000 meters. It is not easy to do because of the time commitment, the energy commitment, and the mental commitment. Add to that the fact that life has a way of happening and it does not happen too often. Life happens far too often and it only takes one day knocked out of a training cycle to upset the proverbial applecart. Well, at the end of last week, the applecart was still upright, and I had my numbers.

Monday, I did not run. How is that for the applecart staying in place? The monsoons were pounding hard, and I just did not feel like dealing with it. I swam 3,400 yards to get a good start in the water. But somehow, everything else slipped away. Plate City sat idle and Pee Wee sat sad.

Tuesday I swam 5,100 yards but ran a mere 2.54 miles. Although I do not remember why, I failed again to make my way to Plate City. At this point, a 20/20 was not looking too promising. But there were still four training days left.

Wednesday I hit the water for 4,300 meters. No conversion was needed as I swam the big pool in 78 degree water on June the 9th. Can we pray for global warming? Has summer been cancelled due to COVID? Has this ever happened in the last 10,000 years. I am getting mental with this weather. A good gym session, however, kept me from going insane.

Thursday I hit another 4,113 meters in the small pool and I also hit the road for some big numbers: 10.39. That stacked some apples on the cart for my twenty-miles on the road.

Friday I finished up my swimming for the week giving me one less thing on my "to do" list Saturday. I swam 4,300 yards taking me over 20,000 meters. I also ran 4.16 miles bringing me within two miles of my road mark. I even hit the gym for the trifecta. Perfecto. Randy Beatso.

Saturday, I ran short and satisfied to bring my mileage up above twenty. I thought about going to the pool for another practice, but laziness made me think better of it. At the gym, I worked long and hard.

For the week, I 

only lifted three times, but 

ran 21.84 miles, and

swam 20,111 meters.

That was a solid cycle. Will I make it again this week? Already there are several events that threaten to knock out my best laid plans and upset the apple cart. You know what they say about mice and men, right? It happens. I can only do what I can do. Thank you, Jesus, for what I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment