Friday, September 16, 2022

Good Burgers and a Nice Time

My tired legs were no less tired Thursday than they were Wednesday when I could barely shuffle the speed of a slow walk. Sigh. After work Thursday, I went out on the turnrows near home and shuffled along for 2.02 miles. That was all I could stand because I could barely stand (see what I did there?). I think Saturday will be a doomed day.

I did not go to Plate City, having done both push and pull Wednesday. I did not go to the pool because the wife and I decided to attend the football game at MDCC. I am in my 19th year with the school, and I am ashamed to admit that this was our first game.

The wife and I in the stands at MDCC

The atmosphere was great and yes, we bought a burger and popcorn and a drink. I had to take out a mortgage on our home to pay for that. No, actually it wasn't that bad. The burgers were only $5 bucks each. Huh? Yeah, I remember paying that at North Sunflower twenty years ago. They were good, yeah. I can't wait to go back, not to watch the game, but next time I'm eating two burgers.

I saw some of the kids I taught in summer school. One of them had told me he played wide receiver. I kept looking for him. Finally I found him on the track, holding a megaphone. He's a cheerleader. Dude, there is no shame in being a cheerleader. Why did he think he needed to tell me that?

Our view from the stands before it got dark.

The game? Well, we didn't do so well. Penny and I left after the third quarter. The mosquitos were beginning to get to her, and we were down 41 to 10 to Cohoma. I kept hearing one name on their team over and over: Simmons. He ran back kickoffs and punts and he played defensive back and maybe even offense. At one point, I turned to the stranger beside me and said, "If we had that guy and they had a worn-out shoe, we would be OK."

But we weren't OK. But that was OK. We, Penny and I, had a good time. And I left thinking about those burgers. We are going back. Not to watch the game. To eat burgers.Thank you, Jesus, for good burgers and a nice time.

No comments:

Post a Comment