Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Not Real Fun

Monday and Tuesday were decent days for training. Tuesday was, anyway. Monday I worked late then took my wife's truck to the oil-change place. That did not leave much time to do more than a short run and mow the front lawn.

Tuesday we had our MDCC Greenwood Center 5K. Yeah, that. We met in front of the Crystal at 2:00. The weather was perfect, sunny but only around 79 degrees with a dew point of 43. How often does that happen? There were nine of us, which is our best turnout in a time or two. My goal? I wanted to go under my 10:41 pace that I ran at the Oaks. Did I make it? No. My legs died and my belly was full of cookies that Bad Kate placed in the hall that morning. It wasn't even necessary to beat me so why did she do it? She did it because she is BK, Bad Kate.

I ran the first mile in 10:41. Bingo. But then things became more difficult. Mile two was clocked in 11:01. I just thought I was getting tired. Mile three hit me like a linebacker on Friday night. I shuffled that one in 11:40. The total distance was 3.03 in 33:37 for an average of 11:06. Not bad but a bit disappointing. Still it was good work. I walked over, did the 3.03, then ran another 1.49 miles home. Once there, I did some more.

The more was to lift at Plate City and mow the back yard. Doing the mowing, I got in another .4. So for the day, I walked 1.57, ran 4.52, and lifted weights. That is enought to keep an old man from getting too old. Thank you, Jesus.

Who won? Well, it wasn't me and it was not even Bad Kate. She finished second behind some student who burned the course up in about 20 minutes. I was third, passing several front runners along the way. It was real. It was fun. But it was not real fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment