Thursday, October 20, 2022

Wellness Wednesday

Every Wednesday is Wellness Wednesday at the Greenwood Center of MDCC. Katie Jones, our counselor and events planner, has hosted a number of things over the years. Sometimes she brings in a speaker or hosts a presentation that helps students deal with stress, depression, and the strains of life. Of late, we have been trying to get some of the students out for a walk/run. We got them out one day, for our annual 5K (or what's the term? we do it twice in a year).

No one but Katie and I, however, showed up yesterday. She was late and had already texted me to start on time. Thus, I was over a mile in when she caught me. We mostly ran together for the rest of the course. We did it interval fashion, a fast .25 followed by a slow .25. It was a lousy run for me. I suppose me legs have not recovered from Friday's long run.

Anyway, we got it done. I walked over, ran the 3.04 miles with five hard .25s, and then shuffled home for another 2.27 miles giving me 5.31 miles for the day. Did I mention that I got up to swim? I went to the pool, but the fall I took Friday is still affecting my left shoulder. My right one doesn't feel too good either. I swam 150 yards. You read that right, 150 yards, my all-time shortest swim.

You might remember what Wednesday night is at Plate City: Leg Day/Night. I squatted heavy and did calf raises and hip abductor/adductor exercises. Not only that, but I practiced on the speed bag. I'm getting better at that and am really enjoying it.

Thus I had a pretty good day, three workouts or maybe I should say, three attempts. The running was solid and so was the gym work. I wish I could swim. But it will come back. Thank you, Jesus, for hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment