Monday, February 17, 2020

Garmin Swim 2

I used my new Garmin Swim 2 the first time Monday morning. Since I am still unfamiliar with it, I was apprehensive climbing into the water. I did not know what the display would look like while I swam, and I was concerned about how visible the numbers would be. The old 910 XT had big numbers that my near-sighted eyes could easily read in the water even with foggy goggles. 

Although the Swim 2 is a smaller watch, I was immediately and pleasantly surprised to see that the numbers were big, dark, and readable. The screen had time and distance and both were easy to make out while doing a flip turn. I also like the ability to pause the watch during the swim and it gives you your rest time so that one can do intervals on a set rest interval rather than on a set leave-the-wall interval. 

The new interval time and distance replaces the total time and distance when one hits the lap button. I did not, however, know how to scroll to the total while I was on the wall. It can probably be done, but I was afraid to punch buttons and maybe clear the watch out. 

After my swim, the total time, total distance, average per 100 yards for the whole swim, and average heart rate were all rotating on the watch face. Yes, hear rate. This watch records your heart rate from the strap. Gone is the old bra one had to purchase extra and wear to get that information. When I got home, I figured out how to go to history and see my interval times. The watch did not, however, give me my pace per 100 yards on the intervals. That information is probably available if one knows how to access it. There is more I don't know about this watch than I do know. 

From reading the Owner's Manuel, I know that one can program workouts for the watch, but they have to be done online and sent to the watch via computer. Will I ever get around to that? Most likely I will manually program workouts into my other Garmin, the 310 XT, and wear them both in the pool. One can also pair the watch with your iPhone although I don't know what that is about. Sometimes technology intimidates me. I should not be that way, I am sure, but I am.

So what is my assessment? I like the watch, but I wonder if I will ever maximize its potential. Maybe I will unlazy and learn it as well as I knew the old 910. If I ever see one of those though, I am buying. Then I will have three Garmins. Watch out Randy Beets.

Thank you, Jesus, for the technology that makes the pool more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment