Sunday, February 16, 2020

Valentine's Day with my Bride

Penny and I went to Jackson Saturday. This was sort of a Valentine's date for us. We stopped at Academy Sports on the way in. I purchased one pair of 2.5 Olympic plates and a pair of collars. I don't use collars much, but when I do I need them to work. I need them for the lop press and the deadlift. When I dl, the weights always shift to the right side. As the load gets heavy, this could cause some problems. I have several sets of those clippy things, but they work about as well as a light rain shower on a muddy pickup truck.

Later, I dropped Penny at some of her stores and went off the Play It Again Sports, my favorite store in all the world. It was closed. Not just closed, but the lights out, the building empty. It is gone. I should have seen it coming. Lately they have carried nothing new. They used to stock new kettlebells and dumbbells, but not of late. Even their used inventory stagnated.

Of course I was disappointed. When I reflected on things, I realized that Facebook Marketplace probably helped do them in. Now you can sell your unwanted exercise equipment for what Play It Again would sell if for. Not only that, but you can buy used stuff without driving to Jackson to do it. I have personally purchased hundreds of pounds of used plates from individuals who previously relied on word of mouth or had to drive to Play It Again and take half as much as they could have sold it for themselves. Time, things, people, the marketplace all change. Sometimes that change is sad.

I am sad, but Plate City is well stocked. The few things I am still looking for, I can get at good prices through Facebook Marketplace or Titan Fitness. But from now on, my trips to Jackson won't be quite as exciting to me as they have been in the past. 

I had almost two hours before Penny was expecting me to pick her up so I went to Friendship Park and did a little bit of a shuffle there. I discovered this place a few years back and I am feeling more and more comfortable there. 

I picked Penny up on time, shuttled her to some more stores, and then we went to Red Lobster for dinner. She loves Red Lobster, and I love to see her happy.

Thank you, Jesus, for a save trip and a nice time with my bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment