Saturday, February 29, 2020

Like Old Times

A cat jumped onto the bed rousing me from the last of my dreams. This latest dream was of me in a runaway car going backwards. Penny and I were out on country road. Farmland was to our right, woods to our left. She, driving, stopped, got out, and left the car in reverse. I, in the passenger seat, was trying to bring the car to a halt as it began first to roll backwards then to pick up speed eventually going thirty-miles per hour or more. I was driving watching the road through the rear view mirror, swerving from side to side. My foot reached the brake pedal but would only press down enough to slow the car a little, maybe two-miles per hour. Then a yellow eighteen wheeler, a Peterbilt pulling a grain trailer, showed in the mirror coming my way fast. She has to stop doing this, I thought. I rolled over in bed and gazed into the semi darkness. CC had come to see me. Like old times.

John has been out at the pool giving me the leisure to sleep in and enjoy life again. Friday morning was now like it used to be. I lounge, start the day slowly, drink lots of coffee. I hang out with the cats. I peck on the computer. Slowly, I awaken and plan the day. There will be swimming and running and lifting. There will be cats. There will be Paul Finebaum. There will be naps. There will be dinner with my bride. Thank you, Jesus.

I went to the pool at 10:30 a.m. Gloria Hathcock and a friend of hers were there. I had swum with them before so I knew we could make it work. I did 

1,200 21:33
15 X 50 r: up to 1:00
100 small paddles 1:45
150 medium paddles 2:31
200 large paddles 3:22
100 back 1:44 new Association of Sports Swimmers world record
100 small paddles
total: 2,600 yards = 2,376 meters

That wasn't a lot compared to what I usually do. But I had 20,000 meters by Thursday and that always causes me to relax. I thought, what have I not done this week? what do I need to do? The answer was sprints. I had not worked on pure speed, thus I did 50s with a long rest between each rep.

I said there would be naps. There was. I went home, ate lunch and got on the couch. While I hung out with CC in the morning, River came and got on me on the couch. He is a sweetie. They both are.

I did a shuffle, 3.6 miles. That brought me to 21 for the week. For the first time in several weeks, I am back to a 20/20 training cycle. With workout number two done, I turned my attention to Plate City.

After failing to lift Thursday, I needed to do both push and pull. On the push, I started on the bench press with

15 X 95
13 X 100
10 X 105 plus a chain
  9 X 105 plus two chains

On the rest of the pushes, I did the log press:

16 X 52 new Association of Sports Strongmen world record
11 X 57
  8 X 63

For pulls, I started with the lat pull down doing

26 X 50
21 X 60
15 X 70
12 X 80

I also did two sets of chin ups, and two sets of the Swim Pulls. I capped it all off with 65 reps on the row machine.

That was a good day. Friday felt like Friday. When I finished the third workout, I went in, bathed and got ready to go out to eat with my bride. We went to Hilltop early like the old people we are. There we ordered and steak. Nice. Right now, I am typing with CC on my lap. More goodness. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment