Thursday, February 13, 2020

Watches

I told you already about my Garmin dying. I went online instantly and found an old 310 XT (a refurb, that model has been gone for years). I ordered the watch because I have had that model before and it was a dandy. Also it was really cheap for a GPS unit. I wore my old one until the wrist straps broke and after that I would put it under my swim cap and measure my open water swims with it. 

So my new watch came in. I was both excited and disappointed. I had forgotten that this model does not count swim laps. Ouch! It also only has one data screen, although I can live with that. It is still a good watch and will serve me well for running. I have even been using it in the pool. I can record times, and even though it does not count laps, it helps me keep up with them. I check it after 100 to get my pace for the day, and then glance at it from time to time. I am able to tell from the time, how far I have been. 

I also will be able to program in some intervals. If you have ever wondered how I do 50s on 1:19 or 1:21, I program that repeat into my Garmin and it sends me off the wall. Try doing that with a pace clock. Heck, I don't need a pace clock, and I love doing odd send off times.

But I still need a lap counter. When I do a lot of sets, I have to try to remember them all so I will know how far I swam for the practice. For my really long swims or my time trials, I need to forget keeping up and just go. It is easy to lose track of how far you have been when swimming say a 500. If you glance at your watch, the pace is faster than your warm up pace so you then have to try to figure it out. 

So I have been back online. The top of the line Garmins are way more than I am going to pay right now. Plus, I don't need all their bells and whistles. I want my old 910 but I guess they quit making that one. The next in line was the 920, but I can't find it either. I have, however, found something. I just ordered a Garmin Swim 2. I have never had one of these, but it should fill in the gaps at the pool. I will be able to track the whole practice, and I can let my mind go into neutral on longer sets or really hard ones. 

Plus, when this watch comes in, I will be back in the enviable position of having two watches. With that, I can do my programmed sets, which are done in running mode so I can't count the totals when doing that. I will also have a watch on that will record everything. This will put me into Randy Beetsdown mode. With two watches, I can't be beat. 

Praise God. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment