Monday, November 29, 2021

Dream of Mom

Mom left this world in October of 2017. Dad passed in November of 2013. While I have had several dreams about my dad, until last night, I had never had a dream-- that I can remember-- about Mom. 

I was driving that old 1971 GMC pickup truck that was my main mode of transportation for 13 years. A young Forrest, he looked about 12 or 13, was with me. We pulled up into the driveway at Anna Lott's house across the street, who even in my dream had already passed. Then I thought better of it and backed out and parked in front of Mom's who also had departed this world.

We got out to start to the house and immediately I noticed that mail was strewn across the front stoop. This confused me because I knew Mom should not have been receiving any mail, and why was it scattered on the front porch? 

The wood door was open and I opened the safety door and went inside. Once inside I thought how it felt like Mom should have been there. No lights were on but I could see. I went into the kitchen. She was there. In a relined position, she was in the doorway between the dining room and the kitchen. I walked over and touched her shoulder. She looked up at me. She had never looked prettier than she did then, and I saw her face more clearly than I ever have in my memory. A redbird was on the counter by the sink. I began to weep and wondered why Forrest did not come into the room. 

Then I woke up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment