Thursday, May 2, 2019

Back Indoors

I started to go through the outside gate to get to the pool, but something internal directed me in the front door instead and to the desk. Robert and some other workers were there. He, Robert, told me he had bad news. "I just shocked the pool," he said of the big one, the one I wanted to swim. "You need to wait at least an hour."

"I'll just go to the other one," was my response and new plan.

I hated it. I wanted that long course swimming, but at least I had another option. In the little pool, one of the workers came it before I could start and hooked the robot up and got it going. Oh great. Nevertheless, I swam

4,000 straight 1:16:04 (1:53)
1,500 straight 28:39 (1:54)
total: 5,500 yards = 5,027 meters.

I don't like doing intervals when the robot is going.

I went home and ate two peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, drank some milk, and rested. Then I got my running stuff on and went to Wade Road where I shuffled 3.5 miles at a miserably slow 48:53 (13:57). 

Sigh. 

Praise God that I can still shuffle. I do, however, yearn for the days when I could click off the miles at a brisk pace. Will that ability ever come back? Only God knows and time will reveal it to me. But I am thankful to be able to run at all. At a month shy of 63 years old, not too many people my age can still run or want to.

I needed a trip to Plate City, but that spirit of leisure took over. I had my swim students coming at 8:00, so I lounged and waited for that time to roll around.

At 8:00 p.m. my swim students were set to meet me at the indoor pool. This time I would be on deck instead of in the water. I saw some things I had not seen before. Johnny, who is swimming pretty well, is crossing over under his body not a little but a lot. I did not see that during our first two sessions, but being on deck this time allowed me to see it and video it so he could look at it himself. It was a nice session, and I am making drills up as we go to improve their body roll and high elbow. Last week we even started working on flip turns. They are not too good with those yet, but they are improving.

I am enjoying this swim teaching thing, and the money they pay me all goes to the DFM. I have that and a couple of shirts sold so I need to put an envelope in the mail to them Friday. 

Praise God for a good and productive day.

No comments:

Post a Comment