Friday, May 3, 2019

First Open Water Swim of the Year

It's time. Time to swim outdoors, time to swim open water.

I had a craving and contacted Susan Walker for permission to swim a tail-end water recovery pond that she and her husband either own or jointly own. 

It's big. A single lap is over a mile. Thursday afternoon, I found a high gear in my truck and headed to Minter City. I don't know why I didn't take a few photographs. After I parked I decided to shuffle around the levee on foot, and I got an easy 1.15 miles. Then I got into the water.

I didn't take a reading, but the water felt to be about the same temp as the outdoor pool, 78. I started swimming and it wasn't long before I knew my muscles were not used to hundreds of strokes in a row without a flip-turn rest. This is one reason you swim open water if you swim open water. Clear enough?

I made it to the north end of the pond, crossed over, and started back towards the truck. I hadn't swum too far south when something hit me in the back. That gave me a fright and I stopped, stood up, and turned to face behind me. Immediately my mind went to an episode I watched of When Animals Attack. A young woman was swimming alone in a river in Florida when something hit her in the back. Then an alligator grabbed her arm. To make a short story long, obviously the woman survived to tell the story. But at the end of her segment, the camera panned down revealing that she had lost her right arm in the incident. 

I saw nothing although the dark water could have easily concealed a whole herd of gators. I knew that if I got out of the water, I would likely never get back in here again, so like falling off a horse, I started back swimming. Almost instantly, a big swirl of water hit first my right hand and arm and then my left one. That sent me scurrying up the levee. I felt a little silly, but not silly enough to get back into the water. There is a paved road on that side of the pond. I was standing out there almost naked, about a half mile from the truck. People drove by a looked at me like I was crazy. I gazed up towards the truck. My bare tender feet didn't want to make the trip, but it was either walk or swim. 

I walked. 

Then left and drove home. I swam a mere .81 miles (1.303 meters).

Sigh.


Back at the house, I paid Plate City a visit. I did a little bit of everything since this was only my second lift session of the week. On the bench, I pressed

10 X 95
11 X 100
12 X 105
14 X 110
12 X 115
10 X 120

I guess it is back to the fish farm for Friday. Besides the shock to the big pool, Robert told me they are doing something to it that will mean no swimming for 48 hours. I'll call David and see what he has. 

Thank you, Jesus, for options.

No comments:

Post a Comment