Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Swim, Run, Lift

Yeah, I did it all. Yesterday. Tuesday.

John called and wanted to swim at 7:00 a.m. I wanted to swim at 10:00. After much pleading from him, we finally settled on 7:30 in the little pool. He got there at 7:41.

Yes, this kind of thing does aggravate me. It tests my sanctification, and I fail here often.

I am supposed to help preach his funeral. The other people involved probably won't go for it, but he needs to be late. Seriously, if I have my way, half way through the sermon his casket will be rolled in. That would only be appropriate.

I wasn't feeling it in the pool, and I was a bit pissed. I swam

1,200
400 kick with fins
500
200 kick with fins
100
total: 1,900 plus 600 kick

I left and John was still there. He wanted to swim 7:00 today. Yeah, right. I told him no. I hope to go to the pond today.

I went home and then took a run. It was hot but a nice breeze helped keep me from overheating. I did 5.62 with some multi-pacing. After that I rested for a while before going outside where I worked on my rotator cuffs and benched

13 X 100
  8 X 120
  7 X 140
  4 X 145
  2 X 150

This is as late as I have ever lifted before a marathon swim, eleven days out. This is also the heaviest I ever lifted before a marathon swim. I am thinking this will not hurt me although the conventional wisdom is not to lift three weeks out before a big swim event. I lifted the week of the meet before the Senior Olympics. If it hurt me I could not tell. Once more, as Mark Bell says, "Strength is never a weakness." I plan to lift once more this week, maybe Thursday, to hit those other upper body muscles. Probably I will not lift the week of. The week of is time for a radical taper.

I slept well and now just want to drink coffee. Praise the Lord for the bean.

No comments:

Post a Comment