Friday, May 17, 2019

Majoring on Minors

I'm good at that. Or bad at it, however you want to term it. Majoring on minors that is. 

I had some business to attend early Thursday morning. As usual, I was hoping for that monster swim I've been looking for. I've been getting in some pretty good yardage, but not the big swims I really need. I've had some long swims but not monster swims. Thursday was the day, I thought.

The business took much longer than I had anticipated, and by the time I was free my mindset had changed. I was now thinking I should run before swimming. So I did.

It was 81 degrees when I left the house at 10:00 a.m. shuffling towards the Tallahatchie bridge. I crossed the river and turned onto Wade Road where I kept going until I got to the gravel road that runs back to Money Road. Yeah, I made the loop, wearing a backpack to stay hydrated.

My pace was pitiful. I am embarrassed to write it here even though I have put bad numbers here before. But it was hot and just the day before I had done five sets of squats. My legs were toast from the start. I totaled 6.15 miles straight. Then it was time for a bath, nutrition, and some much needed rest.

I actually slept, but that didn't seem to help much when I went to the pool. I was shocked to drive up at Twin Rivers and see the outdoor pool full of kids. But there is always the indoor job. Thank you, Jesus. I had, however, little energy left and only managed to do 1,800 yards before I tapped out and went home. 

I'm good like that. Majoring on minors. I should have swum before running. Even though I knew I was in some way messing up, I still did it and will probably do it again at some point. But not today. At least that is my determination and prayer. Help me, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment