Friday, May 10, 2019

Thursday

I had a full day off Thursday, and the weather forecast called for all-day rain. That can be a bad combination. Or it can be a good one. It depends on what I write on a 3 X 5 index card the night before. Wednesday night, I wrote:


                                                 study
                                                 blog
                                                 contact Ocee
                                                 contact the Commonwealth
                                                 contact Woodrow Wilkins
                                                 make room reservations for the Challenge
                                                 lift weights
                                                 swim until I get seriously tired

I woke up Thursday morning and did the first six things on the list. I also drank coffee, talked to the cats, and listened to the rain hit the roof and window awnings. Then I went to Twin Rivers to lift weights. I haven't lifted all week and with the heavy rain, Plate City was out.

I hit the whole upper body, hit it hard, and even did squats. On the bench, I pressed

   10 X 95
   8 X 115
   5 X 140
   5 X 140
   3 X 145
   3 X 145

That is down a couple of sets from last week and a much more streamlined workout. I am attempting to taper a bit on the weights while maintaining as much strength as possible going into the swim. Besides the squats, I did lateral raises, shrugs, one-arm bent rows, dumbbell curls, triceps push downs, and I polished everything off the 5:35 on the row machine. I love that machine. If I ever get a chance to buy one, I will own it as fast as I can drive there.

I went home, ate an early lunch, and then took a nap. It was only 10:00 am, but I went to sleep. Then I got up and went to the pool needing a big swim. After this week, I have only two training weeks left before Chicot Challenge VIII, The Comeback. The final week, the week of the swim, is a radical taper. By then the fitness is either there or it is not. That week I swim lightly, swim short, and on Friday I swam not at all. 

I got in the pool, hoping for some magic. Tuesday I bombed out and Wednesday I spent too much time running and not enough in the water. Thursday, I swam 4,050 before I stopped to see if I was going to be alright swimming with an aged exerciser who was getting in. It worked for both of us so I drank some water and started back swimming.

I was thinking I needed about 10,000 yards or more. I swam another 3,300 before stopping to stretch my shoulders. That put me at 7,350. I started back with the idea of going another 2,000 before switching things up a bit. But then something near my left shoulder became uncomfortable. I think it might have been the pectoral tendon. This threw my mind into a turmoil. Marathons swimmers don't quit. But we also listen to our bodies. I swam another 850 yards and tapped out. I had the attitude and fire enough in the belly to keep going. An injury, however, is not something I have the luxury to acquire at this time. I hate quitting, but sometimes discretion really is the better part of valor.

I got a good workout, although it was not all I wanted. With the weights and 8,200 yards in the water, I should have added a little bit to the gas tank. I am, however, still looking for that elusive monster swim. I certainly need it for the confidence it gives me, and my body needs it also. I have yet to crack the three hour mark this year although I have flirted with it for a month now. Maybe next week. It has to happen next week. Actually, I need a four hour swim. A swim of that duration puts my body into another category. I need that category.

Thank God for what I got in today. Lord, give me more next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment