Thursday, May 9, 2019

First Pond Swim

Wednesday I made my second open water swim and my first pond swim of the year. Remember last week I went to that tail-end water recovery pond and got spooked and left. I finally called my man on the fish farm and told him I needed a pond. He thought a few seconds then described an area I had never swum before. In fact, the area he was talking about I thought was Scott land. But he must know what he's talking about so I packed up and made the trip.

I turned where he said turn and rambled around. He had said something about 28 and 25. I never found those numbers but I did find a 23. Right across from 23 was a fresh looking pond. I could tell it had no fish in it. How, you might ask? After years of swimming ponds, I just knew. The water was a little more clear, and it had that fresh look. I texted David and told him I was out there somewhere. I was still a little concerned that I was on Scott instead of Tackett. David told me he would be in the area, but the only trucks I saw were about a mile away.

The first time I tapped up in a year and a half.

I taped up and waded in. The water felt about 78 degrees cool and I started swimming. Like most of the ponds out here, it orients east and west. On the north side the water was choppy as I swam down the long levee headed west. A storm was blowing in from the south tossing the water a bit and giving me a real open water experience. 

My new pond

Just looking at the pond, I guessed it to be about .6 of a mile around. When I crossed over to the south side, the levee blocked the wind and gave me some flat water. That is when I got into that all-day rhythm that is so important in long swims. When I made the full lap, I stopped to look at my watch: .58. Darn I'm good.

I swam another lap giving me 1.15 miles. Then I decided to run. I put on shoes and began to shuffle. I headed for those trucks a mile away to the west. Maybe David is over there, I thought. I'd like to confirm that I'm not trespassing. I made my way over there and saw a bunch of workers in the pond socking up some fish. I didn't see David so I kept going. When the road I was running on dead-ended, I turned and came back. This time one of the workers was at the edge of the road and I asked him if David was around. He just pointed and there he was.

When I told David I was worried I might be on Scott, he pointed south to where I had turned around. "That ditch right there is the line." 

I then told him where I was, pointed to the feed bin a mile away. "I swam the pond right in front of that bin."

"That's a good one," he said. "There's no fish in that one." Darn I'm good.

So I swam 1.15 miles and ran 4.12. A pretty good day, but still a long way from the distance I need to swim. Now I have a pond and two pools. As one company says, "Just do it." Today, I need to do it. Next week I have to do it.

Thank you, Jesus, that I get to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment